Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clsfox
Observer
Observer

Problem with serial port communication in xupv5-lx110t

Hello!

I need your input in the following problem.

So far I've been using a Spartan 3e board for my designs. For serial communication I have been using a prolific usb to serial cable (in Windows Vista) and the Hercules Freeware application as a terminal without any problems.

My new board is a  xupv5-lx11t. I've tried to go through the "getting started" manual and run the applications in the compact flash card. The applications ran fine but there was no output in the terminal through the serial port (the com port and the rest of the configurations were as instructed baud rate 9600 data size 8 parity none stop bits 1 and flow control none). I tried a number of new projects in XPS to try the UART communications (with RS232 uart line and rs232 uart 16550) and there was no change. Even the hello world application doesn't work. Through the XMD debug shell I've checked that the board is programmed as it should but still no serial communications. Any ideas as to what might be wrong?  

Thank you in advance!

Louisa

PS: I should add that I have to use o gender changer at the end of the usb to serial cable for the xupv5 board and not for the spartan board... 

Message Edited by clsfox on 07-08-2009 06:19 AM
0 Kudos
3 Replies
clsfox
Observer
Observer

Solved! A gender changer cannot replace the null cable needed.

0 Kudos
zrainx

Dear clsfox,

I have met the same problem,and I'm a newbieof FPGA.

Could you please give me a little more detail description about how you sloved this problem.

I'd appreciate all your help.

Shanghai

0 Kudos
bassman59
Historian
Historian

zrainx wrote:

Dear clsfox,

I have met the same problem,and I'm a newbieof FPGA.

Could you please give me a little more detail description about how you sloved this problem.

I'd appreciate all your help.

Shanghai

He said he used the proper cable!

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos