cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Problems connecting with Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA

Currently, when trying to download the bitstream to the SP605 board, I get the following error:

FPGA configuration encountered errors.

Program FPGA failed

ERROR: Connection to Board Failed

Failed to Open JTAG Cable

Check the following:

1. Cable is Connected to the Board and the Board is Powered-ON

2. On Cable Lock Error, Close the other application using the cable or Remove Cable Locks using "xclean_cablelock" command

3. You have specified the correct JTAG settings for cable type and port.

So basically the SDK is not connecting the board. It's odd, because in my "Devices and Printers" window it does appear as "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM3)". Currently it seems that my computer thinks this connection is a wired mouse. (That's the icon it's showing.)

I'm using SDK version 12.3 on a Windows 7 x64 version 6.1.7600 Build 7600.

I tried following the instructions in the included "Getting Started" pamphlet to ensure the board was hooked up correctly, and basically when I got to the part where the Xilinx logo is supposed to appear onscreen I instead get large horizontal green and purple strips, overlaid with vertical lines in different shades of grey and black. I get the impression that either the board as a whole, or perhaps just the adapter piece for the monitor cable is broken.

I am getting a solid green and a solid red "Error" LED in the upper-right corner of the board. Not sure if these mean anything. Any ideas as to how I can get this connected and running projects?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Problems connecting with Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA

> It's odd, because in my "Devices and Printers" window it does appear as "Silicon Labs

> CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM3)".

It's not odd if you plugged the USB connector into the wrong USB port on the SP605.  One of the is the CP2103 UART and the other is for JTAG programming.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I tried both ports. The first one I tried was USB/UART, which is what the instructions told me to use. My computer couldn't even figure out what driver to install for the JTAG port, and I didn't see anything online about it. (And the USB key that came with the board is inexplicably broken, despite bein brand new.)

Either way, I'm getting that cable error as described above.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Ok, so the first time you used the wrong USB port and the second time with the correct port there was a driver problem.

When you installed the ISE software and cable drivers did you have administrator rights?  If not then you will need to reinstall with the correct rights.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

No sir.

To be clear, first I used the correct port, which was the USB/UART. When I say "correct", I mean the port I was instructed to use by the Xilinx official "Getting Started" guide that came witht he board. This port was recognized by the computer and the appropriate drivers were set up, but when trying to connect to the board via the SDK I get that error mentioned previously.

Afterwards I tried the other port, the "JTAG" USB port, which was not even recognized by the computer. I did have administrator rights throughout this process.

And yes, I know how to use Google. It did occur to me to do a site specific search. None of the results found were relevant to this specific problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The SP605 Getting Started Guide is about using the board with the included design bitstreasm.  After combing through UG525 I can only find a single instance where the phrase "USB JTAG" is used and it should have said 'USB Mini-B UART"  the accompany figure has the correct "USB UART" terminology and shows the connecto to the "USB UART".

When I asked about if you had adminstrator rights, I was referring to when you installed the Xilinx tools, not during the time that inserted the USB cable in to the JTAG port.  It seems like the Xilinx USB cable drivers were not installed correctly when you installed the Xilinx SDK.

There is a User Guide to assist with installing the cable drivers  that can be found on this page:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/configuration_hardware.htm

You can follow the installations in this User Guide or try to fix the problem by reinstalling the Xilinx SDK with admin rights.

Lastly,  the Google comment in my last post (and shown below) is part of a generic signature and was not specifically directed at your post.