UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor ld01422
Visitor

Question abouy vcu108 SMA ports usage

We have question when we use SMA cable using vcu 108 board. Here is the question.

1. VCU108 borad has two sma ports for clock. Is it possible to use those port as aurora tx, rx channel not clock ?

2. If two sma ports are used only for GT clock, we are considering used of bullseye cable. Is it possible bullseye cable can be connected the other bullseye cable for chip to chip interface ?

3. If second question is No, do you have any board or card for FMC to SMA ports? thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Question abouy vcu108 SMA ports usage

Hi @ld01422

To answer your questions:

1. VCU108 board has two sma ports for clock. Is it possible to use those port as aurora tx, rx channel not clock ?

Aurora uses the Transceivers, which would mean that the SMA connectors would need to be connected to one of the GT quads, however looking at the VCU108 user-guide (UG1066), these SMA connectors are connected to IO bank 67, which is not a GT bank but an High-Performance (HP) IO bank.  I would say from this that it's not possible to use these for Aurora.

2. If two sma ports are used only for GT clock, we are considering used of bullseye cable. Is it possible bullseye cable can be connected the other bullseye cable for chip to chip interface ?

So the thing with the GT's is that the clock would need to be input on a MGTREFCLK input and the SMA's on the VCU108 are connected to a regular IO bank.  If you take a look at the VCU108 user guide on page 44 it shows all of the MGTREFCLK connections on the board and some are connected to the onboard SI570 oscillator and others go to the BULLSEYE connector.

In terms of going board to board with a bullseye, I don't see why you couldn't do this as long as the signal integrity at the far end is good enough.  At the end of the day the bullseye can break out to male SMA and I've also seen a bullseye to bullseye style for going board to board.

3. If second question is No, do you have any board or card for FMC to SMA ports? thank you.

I've seen this one, though I'm not sure of it's compatibility with the VCU108.  It is primarily aimed for large LVDS interfaces, however it appears that it has access to 8 transceiver lanes.

Matt

0 Kudos