UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer torokb
Observer

SDK flash program with shared memory bus multiplexer

Jump to solution

Hi!

I use a Digilent Nexys3 board, and now I'm trying to download a bit file (with config data and bootloader program), and an srecimage into the parallel flash. The configuration and the bootloader are OK (SDK srec_bootloader template). But SDK->Xilinxtools->ProgramFlash seems not working. I think the ProgramFlash option somehow not compatible with the digilent shared memory bus multiplexer ("No usable flash memory controllers were found in the hardware system."). Should I connect the flash with another memory controller core? Any tips were to start workaround this problem?

I think it must be simple, many people use this board with applications need external RAM, program memory, and bootloading.

thanks,

Bence

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: SDK flash program with shared memory bus multiplexer

Jump to solution

Hi,

i looked at the MHS of your design and it looks that there is no axi_emc controller.

Refer to http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/platform_studio/ps_r_dld_program_flash_memory_dialog_box.htm

So to run flashwriter on this board, you have to configure axi_emc controller to connect to the BPI flash.

--HS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Does the nexys3 board have a SPI flash or a BPI flash? Flashwriter in SDK is used to program BPI flash.

--HS

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Observer torokb
Observer

Jump to solution

It has a PBI flash, wich shares data bus with the SRAM. The board uses a digilent memory controller to handle this shared bus.

The board has an PSI flash too. Maybe I will try to use that.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

If the board uses BPI Flash, then you should be able to program the Flash using Flashwriter.

Share the MHS so i can comment about it.

--HS

0 Kudos
Observer torokb
Observer

Jump to solution

MHS in attachments.

The BPI is the "FLASH" int "d_shared_mem_bus". (The other two device are the RAM, and an SPI flash.)

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

i looked at the MHS of your design and it looks that there is no axi_emc controller.

Refer to http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/platform_studio/ps_r_dld_program_flash_memory_dialog_box.htm

So to run flashwriter on this board, you have to configure axi_emc controller to connect to the BPI flash.

--HS

View solution in original post

Observer torokb
Observer

Jump to solution

So I have to find another way to program the BPI. Maybe digilent Adept.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Visitor dcorreia
Visitor

Jump to solution
Hello,

Did you figure out how to do this, I need to figure to do the same thing
0 Kudos