UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

SP601/SP605 Breakout Board Development

I don't believe a simple breakout board exists for the the SP601 or SP605 (I believe they use the same connector.  So I'm considering making my own.  Is there anyone interested in helping out or sharing the productions costs?  Shouldn't be very expensive.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: SP601/SP605 Breakout Board Development

What's wrong with the solution referred to you by mcgett in your other recent thread?

Try the HW-FMC-XM105

As far as soldering to this board...  what makes you think that would be a problem?  Have you seen a photo of this board?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Advisor joelby
Advisor

I don't have an SP60* board, but there's another alternative - Dan Strother's FMC-LPC to SATA adapter board.

While it's still not what you're after, he supplies an Eagle part for the FMC connector and the complete circuit board design, along with some hints for reflowing the connector in a toaster oven. It would be a pretty trivial exercise to design a new board suitable for a breadboard (a blank space on the PCB with the appropriate mounting holes) or wire wrap (a grid of pads).

To save costs, you could use an off the shelf wire wrap prototype board and make your own FMC XM105 for a fraction of the cost? Use insulated jumper pins to connect to headers to your breadboard, and mount the whole lot on a large sheet of acrylic.

Explorer
Explorer

$150 something is a lot for what I need to do and I really need more space for soldering components.

Thanks a lot "joelby" the eagle part is a lifesaver.  I was really worried about having to make the part - it has a lot of pins.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

I can use this interface with "Spartan-6 LX150T PCI Express Development Kit" ?

Thanks.

secureasm

0 Kudos
Advisor joelby
Advisor

As long as yours has the two FMC ports that Avnet claims it has, you can.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hi joelby,

from what I understand Avnet mounts FMC LPC and not FMC HPC, then the debug card is not compatible.

XM105.jpg

In the manual of Avnet :

FMC LPC.PNG

Therefore conclude that it can not use it.

secureasm

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

from what I understand Avnet mounts FMC LPC and not FMC HPC, then the debug card is not compatible.

Secureasm, your understanding and conclusion is incorrect.

From the FMC XM105 Debug Card product page:

Low pin count (LPC) and high pin count (HPC) FMC board connector interfaces are supported. SP601 and SP605 boards provide a single FMC LPC interface. ML605 provides one FMC LPC and one FMC HPC interface. The FMC XM105 Debug Card contains a FMC HPC connector which mates with LPC or HPC FMC-supported board connectors.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

What I do not understand is how the LPC can interface with HPC, as these have a different number of PINs.

secureasm

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

LPC doesn't populate some of the rows that HPC populates.

-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Basically, to clarify, the LPC pins are a subset of the HPC pins

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Ok,

Then with LPC I can decide which HPC slot to connect ?

Thanks very much.

secureasm

0 Kudos