UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie btribley

SP605 Base Reference Design WPCAP Issue

Jump to solution

Greetings to all,

I am starting a Spartan 6 PCIe project. Step one was to simply run the evaluation board through all the reference programs to make sure all is well. Alas, WPCAP installed just fine, but the executable not a DLL. When attempting to use the GUI to select the Ethernet interface, all my interfaces show up but when one is selected I get a dot-net exception saying the program cannot find the wpcap dll. I am running on Windows 7.

Although this is not a showstopper, I would like to get it to work. Restarting, launching wpcap before starting the reference design GUI do not help.

Thanks in advance!

bILL

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: SP605 Base Reference Design WPCAP Issue

Jump to solution

Hi,

Unfortunately, your problem here is an OS one.  The Base Reference Design GUI is not supported on Windows 7, and the BRD will not run on a Win 7 machine.

Please see AR#40705 for more details: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/40705.htm

We recommend using Windows XP to run the BRD for the 6 series kits (SP601, SP605, ML605).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi,

Unfortunately, your problem here is an OS one.  The Base Reference Design GUI is not supported on Windows 7, and the BRD will not run on a Win 7 machine.

Please see AR#40705 for more details: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/40705.htm

We recommend using Windows XP to run the BRD for the 6 series kits (SP601, SP605, ML605).

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Newbie btribley

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
0 Kudos
Visitor radix99
Visitor

Jump to solution

This is a fundamental gripe I have about Xilinx.  They do so many things, and many of them well, but some are completely half-arsed.  It's simply unacceptable that I have to revert to a 10 year old OS to use the application that came with my new dev board.

Years ago, before working with Xilinx, I heard how bad the software, etc., was.  I didn't really believe it.  I mean, how can a huge, world-class company fail so miserably at something fundamental.  In the time I've been using Xilinx tools, though, my opinions have changed quite a lot. 

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

@radix99:  Blow it out your nose.

1.  Software which runs on Unix 20 years ago still runs on Linux today.  Software written for Windows XP doesn't run on Vista, software written for Vista doesn't run on Win7.  MacOS has its own problems.  If you want to blame someone, blame the wizards at Micro$oft.

2.  Any idea how much effort is required to support a new version of Windows, including development and testing?  On all the likely permutations of hardware and drivers?

You could hire enough software engineers to update all the legacy apps and tools.  This costs money, lots of it.  You would need a lot of new cubicles and chairmats for all those SW developers and testers, you'd need a lot more tech writers, and you'd need a lot more corner offices for all the managers to keep track of the projects and headcount.

And Xilinx customers would pay for every single penny of the additional costs.

Of course, this would mean good business in the Longmont (Colorado) area for Starbucks franchises and breakfast burrito vending machines.

@radix99: You are whining.

-- Bob Elkind -- not a Xilinx employee.

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Newbie bogroca

Jump to solution

Mr. Elkind,

With all due respect (and please lets keep it that way), as much as I appreciate the fact that you reply to so many questions (actually, in my little search, I couldn't find a single topic in which your name doesn't show up...), please refrain to state the obvius "read the manual" or "did you check the link" answers. It is time/space consuming and annoying. One has always the option to let it unanswered...

Now, on the Windows 7 topic (soon to become 8, if I am not mistaken), if someone finds that venting is a thing they need to do, I, personally, think it is not up to you to "slap" any wrists and "correct" them. In the end, we are all here because we appreciate Xilinx more than Alt.. or Act... etc.

The simple fact of corking someone frustration with Xilinx, implies that they are perfect. We all know that there is always room for improving.

As for your points:

1) It is sad that Unix/Linux did not catch the corporate attention in the same way Windows did. Also true, that MS products are changing faster and faster, with more and more incompatibilities. But this are the time we live in, so what is Xilinx doing about it? Mainly a silicon vendor, it found that it needed software support to encourage users to use its products and sell better. Reaching some corporate critical mass, it started to let that support slip, being now days perceived  not much better (from the support point of view) that some little known Chinese companies, selling their hardware with Win 3.1 drivers. The answer AR#40705, that everybody is so eager to point out, it doesn't even mention that Xilinx is trying to solve the issue. At the end the ML/SP605 kits were introduced in mid 2009, and, Win 7 was announced in 2008 and released in ... mid 2009. They knew it is coming! Any forward thinking? Obviously not!

2) As much as I agree that it is expensive to support all variants, a company needs to keep up with the times, otherwise we'll end up with products not supported. Today, the corporate world has switched (for the most part) to Win 7 workstations. If they need to use the MP/SP506 boards, they need to support the XP workstation on their networks and workstations, just for that.

On the other hand, as you seem to be so knowledgeable, how others can offer eval kits at 49.99 (shipping included!), in any other way than swallowing some costs. Is Xilinx doing it, also? Not really! The simple XM105 priced at $159 is an indication. I have looked at discussions about it, and the only thing an Xilinx employe had to say about it was "Stop complaining about the price! This is it due to costs.......". How many more SP605, for example, would Xilinx have sold extra, if that break-out board would have been reasonably priced?

Please feel free to...not reply to my rant!

Oh, and BTW, you should re-think that signature. It is too big! But, of course, you will do whatever you feel it is right, not what others recommend! How do you like them, apples?

Please accept my best regards,

Bogdan Orasanu

Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

Mr. Orasanu,

Welcome to the Xilinx user forums.  I look forward to your second post in these forums.

Regards,

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos