UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant tloesch
Participant

Serial communications problems under Win 7

I am trying to send small amounts of data between a Java program and a SP605 development board.  I had communications working under XP, but I am having issues after upgrading to a new PC with Win 7.  I downloaded the CP210x_VCP_Win_XP_S2K3_Vista_7 and installed.  I can see the bridge on COM3.  If I use RealTeam to display the output from the SP605, everything looks fine, but when I attempt to read the information from Java using either RXTXCOMM or SerialPort from SerialIO the data is sometimes corrupted.  I am running at 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity. 

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Serial communications problems under Win 7

I am trying to send small amounts of data between a Java program and a SP605 development board.  I had communications working under XP, but I am having issues after upgrading to a new PC with Win 7.

There are at least two possible factors at play:

• Change in OS
  • Change in hardware

I downloaded the CP210x_VCP_Win_XP_S2K3_Vista_7 and installed.  I can see the bridge on COM3.  If I use RealTeam to display the output from the SP605, everything looks fine,

In other words, communication from SP605 to the PC is working fine, yes?

but when I attempt to read the information from Java using either RXTXCOMM or SerialPort from SerialIO the data is sometimes corrupted.

In other words, there is a problem between the PC serial receiver and Java?  If so, I would look for help in a Windows OS or Windows API forum (or a Java programmers' forum).  Are there experienced Windows programmers close at hand who might be able to provide some insight or suggestions?

Did the same applications and configurations (e.g. Java, RXTXCOMM, SerialPort) work differently on the XP machine, or did you use a different software configuration?

Also, the term "corrupted" is unhelpfully vague.  Does "corrupted" mean dropped (missing) characters?  This should be useful information where ever you seek help.

I am running at 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity.

As the link between SP605 and the PC is running fine, the only aspect of these settings which might affect your problem is the character rate.  Does this make sense?

It would probably help if you ran some experiments to see what factors -- if any -- affect your results.  This might provide useful clues of where to look and where not to look for solutions.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Serial communications problems under Win 7

It seems to be you are running BRD with Windows 7 O/S. Unfortunately the Base Reference Design GUI will not work as expected in Windows 7. Please refer http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/40705.htm for more details.
Mahesh
0 Kudos