cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laserbeak43
Observer
Observer

Spartan 3E starter kit: PicoBlaze? What's the point?

Jump to solution

Hi, I've been playing around with some LED examples and some SPI stuff on some sites that use the Spartan 3E starter kit.

I've been spending good time modifiying them and things, but have held off fromt he PicoBlaze examples. The other day, I've

decided to take it on and have started one. after synthesizing and loading it into my board, I realise that it's the same exact thing

as the verilog modifications I've been making, just tons harder to understand. so I ask you, what's the point of this PicoBlaze stuff?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You may want to start here:

http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/message?board.id=PicoBlaze&message.id=24 (PicoBlaze FAQ – What are typical applications?)

There is a learning curve. Luckily there are many examples.

The PicoBlaze sequencers aren't a cure-all for every application. But there are many situations that can benefit from having one or more. For example, although I could drive an LCD with a GPIO peripheral from MicroBlaze, it would be inefficient in that it will generally be waiting for the associated delays. Throwing PicoBlaze at this is a good possibility.

These sequencers are good for generally squential types of control operations. As long as you can fit into the 1k instruction limit (kcpsm2/3), you'll have the same footprint every time (~200 logic cells + 1 BRAM).

I certainly wouldn't use them for heavy DSP processing, IP stacks, etc. It is just another tool in your toolbox. Sometimes it will make sense to pull out - other times you'll just save it for another occassion.

bt

View solution in original post

2 Replies
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You may want to start here:

http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/message?board.id=PicoBlaze&message.id=24 (PicoBlaze FAQ – What are typical applications?)

There is a learning curve. Luckily there are many examples.

The PicoBlaze sequencers aren't a cure-all for every application. But there are many situations that can benefit from having one or more. For example, although I could drive an LCD with a GPIO peripheral from MicroBlaze, it would be inefficient in that it will generally be waiting for the associated delays. Throwing PicoBlaze at this is a good possibility.

These sequencers are good for generally squential types of control operations. As long as you can fit into the 1k instruction limit (kcpsm2/3), you'll have the same footprint every time (~200 logic cells + 1 BRAM).

I certainly wouldn't use them for heavy DSP processing, IP stacks, etc. It is just another tool in your toolbox. Sometimes it will make sense to pull out - other times you'll just save it for another occassion.

bt

View solution in original post

laserbeak43
Observer
Observer

Hi,

I see, I do have some PicoBlaze documentation. I'll have to look at the overview. It  might be what i need for some planned projects.

who knows.

0 Kudos