UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor rrestrepo
Visitor

Spartan 3E starter kit blues

After reading reviews, I got a Spartan 3E starter kit in the hope of learning VHDL. My board shipped with an evaluation version of EDK 8.2i. I realized that to make it work I also had to download ISE but after hours of downloading I couldn't find matching versions.

Can anyone point to freely available XILINX applications for me to be able to program my board? Two more downloads is all I can take.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Spartan 3E starter kit blues

You need ISE 8.2 to work with EDK 8.2.

Previous version of ISE WebPACK can be downloaded at ISE Classics page, http://www.xilinx.com/ise/logic_design_prod/classics.htm.

You need to register to get access to it.

--XF

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Ricardo,

I addressed this in your other thread:

If you want to use EDK 8.2, you will need ISE WebPACK (free) or Foundation (not free) 8.2.
Note that EDK is only required for MicroBlaze and PPC designs. This is not required for most of the Spartan-3E starter kit designs:
If you are just starting to learn VHDL, I would likely not recommend EDK for your first exercises. You can learn a lot with the S3E SK designs above and the tutorials:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/techsup/tutorials/index.htm

My Spartan-3E SK included an EDK 8.2 evaluation disk, as well as a separate disk sleeve with ISE 8.2 (Foundation Eval or WebPACK depending on which product ID you use). Are you sure there wasn't one included in your box as well?

There is also the option to request an ISE eval disk if you have limited download bandwidth.
Note that this is likely not the best approach for you as you will have to pay for shipping & handling. It will also likely be the latest 9.2i version, which work with the EDK 8.2 eval version you have.

I hope this helps.

== added:

Also note that, strictly speaking, you don't absolutely need the ISE service packs/IP updates and the EDK service packs. They are recommended for bug fixes and core updates, but it you just want to get stared with something quickly, a version of ISE by itself should get you going.

We do recommend the service packs (which are available here: http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_sw_updates_home.jsp), but you could likely get started without them. You do need a version of ISE (WebPACK or Foundation) though.

Message Edited by timpe on 11-02-2007 03:50 PM
0 Kudos
Visitor rrestrepo
Visitor

My apologies. The kit came with a DVD and two CDs. After reading this, I found the CD with the WebPack ISE. I had finally managed to download it!

I checked the tutorials and reference designs. Good stuff. In all my searches I remember to have seen a tutorial with a project that shows the basic usage of ISE with this board. It's not in the reference designs and I can't find it anymore. I'd like to find it again ...
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Ricardo,

Thanks for the update (and for updating your original thread with your success). We really do try to make things easy to get started - we want people to have a positive "out of the box" experience.. I'm glad is now working out better for you.

I'm not sure which tutorial you may have run across besides the S3E SK reference designs and ISE tutorials (e.g. http://www.xilinx.com/support/techsup/tutorials/tutorials8.htm). This board is pretty common so there are some additional resources out there which can be useful. Here's one example: http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/crabill/ (SJSU EE174)

Good luck.

== fixed formatting

Message Edited by timpe on 11-03-2007 09:42 PM
0 Kudos
Visitor rrestrepo
Visitor

Thanks Tim. The San Jose State University material is what I was looking for.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
I have been trying to dabble with my Spartan3E starter kit
,S3E board that I bought from Digilent Inc for some time now and i have a question. The board seems to be loaded with the XC2C256 CPLD, Reference designator IC3. The schematics for the Spartan3E starter kit board does not mention anything about this device.Nor is there any reference to it on the Spartan3E starter user guide-UG230. Now it seems to be a mystery to me as to how this device has been hooked up in the board. Anybody got any ideas on how to configure this device and how it is wired up in the board or in other words is this device usable atall?? This is a bigger device with 256Macrocells than the Xc2C64 reference designator IC10 on the board.

Thanks in advance,
Ananth

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Anath,

The XC2C256 is not for user programming. It is used to implement the a part of the embedded Platform USB programming function. In other words, it is part of the circuit that allows you to use a simple USB cable as the programming circuit is on the board instead of a separate JTAG cable.

Most boards require a separate JTAG programming cable, such as this one:
The S3E SK has this electronics for this cable effectively embedded onto the board.
It is a key part of the board (which you are using everytime you download over iMPACT), but it is not available for you to program with your own design.

You will not find it described much, except for this excerpt from the UG230.pdf user guide:
==
The starter kit board also includes an on-board USB-based JTAG programming interface.
The on-chip circuitry simplifies the device programming experience. In typical
applications, the JTAG programming hardware resides off-board or in a separate
programming module, such as the Xilinx Platform USB cable.
==
This circuit is not currently available on the public schematics.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
bt

== minor correction

Message Edited by timpe on 11-14-2007 05:40 PM
0 Kudos