UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The idcode read from the device does not match the idcode in the bsdl File.

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have recently acquired the ML605 evaluation kit, but when I try to configure the FPGA using iMPACT I always get the same message:

The idcode read from the device does not match the idcode in the bsdl File.

Device IDCODE :    00000000000000000000000000000000

Expected IDCODE :   00000100001001010000000010010011

Prior to configuring I did initialize the JTAG chain, I get the message "Identify Succeeded" in iMPACT, and the chain chain scheme appears with the TDI going first into xccace and then into the FPGA xc6vlx240t and then into the TDO

Even without configuration file assignments, upon initializing the JTAG chain, when I right-click on the FPGA in the chain and click on "Get Device ID" I get a red "ReadIdcode Failed" pop-up message.

I also tried using the Debug menu option IDCODE Looping, but still get the same message: The idcode read from the device does not match the idcode in the bsdl File.

Finally, I configured the FPGA successfully with the pre-installed demonstration design that came on the compact flash card that came with the evaluation board package, the Built-In System Test (BIST) design, and ran all the tests that are part of this design, and according to this the board's functionality is good. Yet, I cannot configure the FPGA using the JTAG boundary scan configuration. Please advise on what I can do to fix this,

Thank you in advance,

Dusan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: The idcode read from the device does not match the idcode in the bsdl File.

Jump to solution

It is marked as a production device.

An ES device would be marked with an ES (first silicon), ES1 (a mask revision, still not production), or in some rare cases, ES2.

So, it is a bad device if it will not report its IDCODE.

Contact your distributor to discuss.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

d_v,

"recently acquired" as in purchased from an authorized Xilinx distributor?  If so, you should contact them to discuss.

A production device that is obtained through the authorized channels should not have this issue.

An ES device will have potential errata documented by ES number (ES1, ES2, etc.).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Austin, thank you for your reply. Yes, I have purchased the device through Avnet who is the distributor for Xilinx here in the area (Ottawa, ON, Canada). I will be contacting them.

Concerning the ES numbers you mention, where can I find these.

Thanks again,

Dusan

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

d,

If you can read the top of the device (not blocked by a heatsink), the part number line will have "ES" or similar markings.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello  dusan_vobornik,

To check the silicon version of the device on your board please follow procedure given in following link :

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/37579.html

Thank you. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful. It helps other users to find the correct answers.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

1) In case of using your own design, please check whether the part number in your project and the part number of the device (Part marking) is exactly same or not?

2) Reload ML605 factory supplied designs and try once

3) If still problem exist please then verify as per https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/40398.html  steps and  find out are there any board problem exists

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Austin,

I've removed the fan and the heat-sink and check the numbers on the FPGA, but there is no ES printed on it. These are the numbers printed on the FPGA I have:

XC6VLX240T

FFG1156ACW1609

DD5203344A

1C

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Hi Umamahe,

Concerning your first suggestion, when I click on my design properties I did check that the device and package number matches the device and package numbers printed on my FPGA. Is there any other place in the design where the device part number is specified that I should be checking?

Concerning the second suggestion I did reconfigure the FPGA using the Xilinx supplied design that came on the compact flash card, the built in system test design, and it works fine - all the tests specified there are successful, yet I still can't get the FPGA's ID code after initializing the JTAG chain. Is there another .bit file from Xilinx that I could try to configure the FPGA using the boundary scan JTAG configuration?
0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

It is marked as a production device.

An ES device would be marked with an ES (first silicon), ES1 (a mask revision, still not production), or in some rare cases, ES2.

So, it is a bad device if it will not report its IDCODE.

Contact your distributor to discuss.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos