UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant goer001
Participant

Updating Vivado - Xilinx Part or board

Jump to solution

Dear Sir:

I own an older version of Vivado and I would like to purchase the latest evaluation boards that Xilinx sells.

When I create a project in Vivado with my old software, a window will come up and request that I choose an evaluation board or part.

My selection is limited.   I noticed that a development board that I wanted to purchase was not listed.     

Can I download and install into my old Vivado program a "hardware" file for the latest development boards and will this development board be listed as a board selection when I create a program?

Also, can you tell me if there have been compatibility issues with the SDK using this option?

If your answer to my question is no, can you tell me alternative solutions for this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Participant goer001
Participant

Re: Updating Vivado - Xilinx Part or board

Jump to solution

Dear Ashishd;

I would like to thank you for your reply.   

The question that I posed was a generalized question.     I actually found a link today that answers my question and I am linking this page so that other readers may be able to update Vivado if they want to purchase a board but are uncertain if their board will be supported in their particular version of Vivado that they own.    

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/vivado/board-files-legacy

Again, I would like to thank you for your information and I may re-reply to this post again if I run into any problems with the evaluation board I am planning on purchasing.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @goer001 ,

The question lacks clarity in terms of Vivado version and Evaluation Board you want to use.

So I would answer more generically mentioning what you are trying to achieve is feasible but it comes with some restrictions.

For recent boards, you are supposed to download board files from GitHub (link below) and place them in the installation repository where you'll already find board files for older boards. Software will automatically pick new board files from this place and board will appear in your project.

https://github.com/Xilinx/XilinxBoardStore/tree/master/boards/Xilinx

The limitation here is, any given Evaluation Board is verified with particular version of Vivado Design Suite. So if you use this new board with old Vivado version, some of the board interfaces may not respond as you expect them to. Unless this blocks your use case, it should be fine to proceed with the design. Otherwise you need to update Vivado version to the latest one.

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Participant goer001
Participant

Jump to solution

Dear Ashishd;

I would like to thank you for your reply.   

The question that I posed was a generalized question.     I actually found a link today that answers my question and I am linking this page so that other readers may be able to update Vivado if they want to purchase a board but are uncertain if their board will be supported in their particular version of Vivado that they own.    

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/vivado/board-files-legacy

Again, I would like to thank you for your information and I may re-reply to this post again if I run into any problems with the evaluation board I am planning on purchasing.

View solution in original post

Participant goer001
Participant

Jump to solution

A caveat, although you may be able to upgrade your board in Vivado, a software licensing issue may arise and you will not be able to synthesize your design until you clear the licensing hurdle.