cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

VC707 Hardware Failure

Hello, we have a VC707 evaluation board that has what appears to be a hardware failure. The symptoms are that the board does not boot up and can not be programmed. I performed some measurements and measured 1.5V on the MGTAVCC rail, which has an absolute maximum rating spec of 1.1V. I also measured 10A across the large shunt resistor on the back side of the board, which I believe is VCCIN. I suspect at this point that the FPGA is toast and we have a dead board. 

My question is, is it at this point recoverable if we bring the voltage back into spec or is it likely dead? For example, the power supply modules on the EVB appear to be modular, the one supplying MGTAVCC could be replaced and programmed to an appropriate voltage. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Was the failure at zero usage time or the board was working normally?

Check this:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/51233.html 

Follow the guidelines in it step by step.

If the power modules are not broken but just not programmed correctly, you can resume the board by reprogram the TI Controller on it. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

The board was described as working fine for a long time and then overnight it stopped working. I have followed that guide and it did not resolve the issue.

In your opinion, is it worth trying to reprogram the TI controller? Or is the 1.5V supplied to that section of the FPGA permanently damaged that portion of the FPGA?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If you have all the required tools and cable to reprogram, you can have a try. Not that complicated. Anyhow if it was working well for a long time, I'm afraid the power section got some damage.

I got only a few feedbacks about this reprogramming; but most of which were when the customer just received the board; for some reason the controller lost the program during shipping.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------