UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor rbss
Visitor

VC709 Programming of the BPI flash, and booting from it.

I can't find enough information on how to do this, and I am failing to have the FPGA use a saved configuration on startup. With the SW11 switch, I have it assigned 00010, in order to use the lower address and set it into BPI mode.

The VC709 connectivity kit manual describes the flash as follows:

BPI parallel NOR flash memory (1 Gb)
Micron PC28F00AG18FE/MT28GU01GAAA1EGC-0SIT

while the schematic says:

PC28F00AG18FE

memory_devices.png

In the hardware manager, I right click the xc7vx690t and select "Add Configuration Memory Device" and there is no PC28F00AG18FE. There is one named mt28gu01gaax1i-bpi-x16, which is the only one with and alias as well. I selected that one as it is named almost as the manual says. I select my .bin file, no .prm file (I don't know what it is), address range of "Configuration File Only" and none "RS Pins".

It then performs the erase operation, then program operation. I would like to believe it is now saved into the address relative to the upper bits "00".

Finally I push the PROG_B button, as I believe it is used to restart the device, the fans stop and I wait, and sees that my LEDs are not blinking as they are supposed to.I left it alone, after some minute the fan started again but LEDs were still off.

When I try "boot from configuration memory" from Vivado, the fan suddenly starts at 55%, I think it should be off all the time? I didn't work anyway as:

ERROR: [Labtools 27-2254] Booting from configuration memory device unsuccessful.
boot_hw_device: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:01 ; elapsed = 00:03:04 . Memory (MB): peak = 1425.207 ; gain = 0.000
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'boot_hw_device' failed due to earlier errors.

So, how far of from getting this to work am I if anyone would like to help and knows?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: VC709 Programming of the BPI flash, and booting from it.

Hi @rbss,

Can you confirm if you have mode pins set for BPI configuration on board? i.e. DIP switch S11 set as '010'.

Please refer the below similar discussion:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/vc709-BPI-Flash-configuration-problem/td-p/487998

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/7-Series-FPGAs/VC707-BPI-part-PC28F00AG18FE-isn-t-a-choice-to-generate-MCS-file/td-p/752479

Please check with other board if you have extra to rule out the Board damage.

Thanks,

Sarada

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Visitor rbss
Visitor

Yeah, they are right according to the manual for the board, it shows a picture of the correct setting and I have set the DIP exactly like how the picture shows, i.e., only the fourth is '1'.

0 Kudos
Observer angu_sewa
Observer

After programming the Flash Memory, Power cycle the board (Switch off and on again) and check whether the program is getting loaded from flash to FPGA. The LED indicator "Done" should glow and the fan starts. 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @rbss

The answer to the issue seems to be there in your explaination itself,  while programming BPI flash on VC709 RS pins should be selected as A24-25 but looks like you have selected none.

Can you reprogram after correct RS selections and check ?

RS pins on the Board should be 00 I.e part of SW11  mapped to RS.

pulse Prog_b once you have reprogrammed the Flash.

0 Kudos