Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

VCU118 with -3 speedgrade

Jump to solution

The VCU118 userguide doesnt specify the speedgrade of the vu9p device onboard.

May i know if the board with -3 speedgrade available?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

He means that with appropriate rework gear, you could remove the -2L device and install a -3. Presumably you would also have to bump up the core voltage a bit, as I think the -2L runs at a lower voltage than the -3.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted

@sachinb_apt1 

The VCU118 userguide doesnt specify the speedgrade of the vu9p device onboard.

May i know if the board with -3 speedgrade available?

It does. Check Page 6-8 where the device is listed. It has a XCVU9P-L2FLGA2104 device (-2L speedgrade)

-3 speedgrade is not available though you can swap if you choose to.  

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant
What do you mean by swap if i want to?
Are you saying i should ask for -3 device based VCU board during ordering ? Kindly elaborate.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@sachinb_apt1 Sorry if it wasn't clear. I meant you will need to order a -3 part and replace the one on VCU118 with it at your cost/risk. The board though comes only with -2L part. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

He means that with appropriate rework gear, you could remove the -2L device and install a -3. Presumably you would also have to bump up the core voltage a bit, as I think the -2L runs at a lower voltage than the -3.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Participant

If i understand correctly, the FPGA is not soldered to the PCB but something is holding it on, like some clips.

And we could remove the -2 part and replace with a -3.

Also, if there is risk involved in replacing such parts, Xilinx should give an option to buy board with any speedgrade.

Note: I have access to the board located at remote location,but i cant see it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

If i understand correctly, the FPGA is not soldered to the PCB but something is holding it on

I am pretty sure this is not the case (I guess I can't be 100% certain, but...)

The FPGA is soldered to the board. To replace the FPGA would require the proper surface mount rework equipment - this is not something you can do with a soldering iron! There are companies that do surface mount rework (obviously for a fee).

Even with the best equipment, though, there is always a risk of failure of the rework, which can result in damage to both the board and the devices. This is not a minor undertaking...

Avrum

Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Alright Many thanks for the replies @avrumw @u4223374 and @gnarahar. Appreciate your help.

I dont think we will go ahead with re-work if theres risk involved in losing the board.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

@sachinb_apt1 These boards are all intended to be evaluation and development platforms, not final products. If the -2L isn't fast enough, just run the design a bit slower to check that it works, check that it meets timing for the -3 at full speed, and then design your final product around the -3.

As @avrumw has said, the chip is soldered down with over 2000 separate connections. It's definitely not a job for a beginner - but a person or company used to dealing with BGA chips should be able to reliably swap chips. Of course, at $45K each (for the -2L version; Digikey doesn't list the -3 yet) you'd want to be pretty sure of getting it right the first time.