UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant sachinb_apt1
Participant

VCU118 with -3 speedgrade

Jump to solution

The VCU118 userguide doesnt specify the speedgrade of the vu9p device onboard.

May i know if the board with -3 speedgrade available?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: VCU118 with -3 speedgrade

Jump to solution

He means that with appropriate rework gear, you could remove the -2L device and install a -3. Presumably you would also have to bump up the core voltage a bit, as I think the -2L runs at a lower voltage than the -3.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Jump to solution

@sachinb_apt1 

The VCU118 userguide doesnt specify the speedgrade of the vu9p device onboard.

May i know if the board with -3 speedgrade available?

It does. Check Page 6-8 where the device is listed. It has a XCVU9P-L2FLGA2104 device (-2L speedgrade)

-3 speedgrade is not available though you can swap if you choose to.  

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Participant sachinb_apt1
Participant

Jump to solution
What do you mean by swap if i want to?
Are you saying i should ask for -3 device based VCU board during ordering ? Kindly elaborate.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@sachinb_apt1 Sorry if it wasn't clear. I meant you will need to order a -3 part and replace the one on VCU118 with it at your cost/risk. The board though comes only with -2L part. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

He means that with appropriate rework gear, you could remove the -2L device and install a -3. Presumably you would also have to bump up the core voltage a bit, as I think the -2L runs at a lower voltage than the -3.

View solution in original post

Participant sachinb_apt1
Participant

Jump to solution

If i understand correctly, the FPGA is not soldered to the PCB but something is holding it on, like some clips.

And we could remove the -2 part and replace with a -3.

Also, if there is risk involved in replacing such parts, Xilinx should give an option to buy board with any speedgrade.

Note: I have access to the board located at remote location,but i cant see it.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

If i understand correctly, the FPGA is not soldered to the PCB but something is holding it on

I am pretty sure this is not the case (I guess I can't be 100% certain, but...)

The FPGA is soldered to the board. To replace the FPGA would require the proper surface mount rework equipment - this is not something you can do with a soldering iron! There are companies that do surface mount rework (obviously for a fee).

Even with the best equipment, though, there is always a risk of failure of the rework, which can result in damage to both the board and the devices. This is not a minor undertaking...

Avrum

Participant sachinb_apt1
Participant

Jump to solution

Alright Many thanks for the replies @avrumw @u4223374 and @gnarahar. Appreciate your help.

I dont think we will go ahead with re-work if theres risk involved in losing the board.

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

@sachinb_apt1 These boards are all intended to be evaluation and development platforms, not final products. If the -2L isn't fast enough, just run the design a bit slower to check that it works, check that it meets timing for the -3 at full speed, and then design your final product around the -3.

As @avrumw has said, the chip is soldered down with over 2000 separate connections. It's definitely not a job for a beginner - but a person or company used to dealing with BGA chips should be able to reliably swap chips. Of course, at $45K each (for the -2L version; Digikey doesn't list the -3 yet) you'd want to be pretty sure of getting it right the first time.