cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Urgent please: Quiery regarding the interfacing of DAC of the Spartan 3e board with Serial port

We're working on a project on wind energy conversion in which the controller is to be designed using fpga.We are using  Spartan 3e FPGA.We are unable to access the analog output through the dac.The problem is that the outputs A and B are at 1.659V and B and C are at 1.27V every time i.e after downloading the code to board as well as on just switching on the supply. Here's what we've done:

*We've a properly simulated code for parallel to serial data conversion using VHDL,the data is sent like "XXXX12 bit code address(c3c2c1c0)command(s3s2s1s0)XXXXXXXX".This is the standard protocal to be followed given in the user guide.

*We've divided the C9 50Mhz clock to a 10kHz clock using a 9 bit counter.This clock is then used to send the serial input through MOSI(T4 pin) and also this clock is given to  the U16 pin.

*Assigned the DAC_CS and the DAC_CLR pin each to a switch to switch between 1 and 0.

*Also disabled the other enable pins of the intervening devices like SPI_SSB to 1,AMP_CS to 1,AD_CONV to 0,SF_CE0 to 1 and FPGA_INIT_B to 1.

But no proper output.

I request you to please go through my process and clearly put the necessary corrections and steps to be followed to get the proper output as soon as possible as our project's been stuck at this juncture.

Thank you.

Arun Srikanth Peri.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
driesd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Dear Arun,

it is very difficult to assist you from a distance on such a complex design and problem.

my guess is that you have an FPGA IO bank voltage problem.

I would recommend you to carefully read through the Spartan-3E userguide about the Input/Output bank structure.

if you cannot resolve your problem and it is essential to solve it for your project, you can always purchase titanium support: http://www.xilinx.com/support/services/titanium/index.htm

best of luck,

Dries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented by clicking the star next to the post.
0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

There are lot of things that could be wrong. 

What debug have you done to verify that any portion of the design works?  Have you at least verified with an oscilloscope that the data pins from the FPGA to the DAC are functioning?

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
jprovidenza
Voyager
Voyager

1st, You need to realize that none of us have your schematics, so when

you say U16 pin or C9 it means almost nothing.

Suggestions:

a) have you downloaded a very simple design so that you know that the compile/download

process works for you?

b) have you simulated to make sure your logic is correct?

c) what voltage levels does the DAC expect to run at?  Do you have the proper IO voltage

applied to theFPGA bank.

d) you mention that the DAC_CS pin is connect to a switch.  This sounds very wrong to me.

All the SPI devices I've worked with use the CS pin to frame the data.  It is usually a dynamic

signal.

e) if you download a simple design that simply outputs your 10kHz clock to the SPI clock pin

as a free running clock, do you actually see a good quality clock on the pin?  If not, you need to

figure out what's causing the problem.

I hope this helps get you started.

John Providenza

0 Kudos

Thank you Dries,Mcgett and John for the response.I've gone through the user guide again and taken the design through all the possible steps to debug it.

Now there seems to be an improvement in the output but then the actual output is quite wavering in and around the vicinity of the actual expected value.Eg:If the expected analog output is 1.4V,the out through the DSO shows values ranging right from 0 to around 1.4 increasing in order and then getting back to 0.If the expected value is lesser,then the range is also smaller.

This is not expected since I'm giving just a constant digital input.

Is the problem because of interface of the serial data with the DAC?But for the same reason,the DAC_CS pin i.e. the conversion start  pin of the DAC is kept low during the time of passing of the serial bits(32 bits)to the DAC and is high on after the 32 bits are passed. 

Also as to debug I've checked whether the divided clock is working by giving the clock to an LED.The DAC_CS  pin also changes dynamically now since its value is assigned in accordance with the protocol(not via a switch).

I think there should be no problem with the code since the simulation is perfectly upto what is expected.

Can there be any other solution for this?If possible can I get a sample code for interfacing a single digital input to the DAC?

Thank you.

Arun Srikanth Peri. 

0 Kudos
jprovidenza
Voyager
Voyager

Is it possible that the DAC has a diagnostic mode that outputs a ramp function regardless of the

data that you send it?  This is probably not the issue, but it may be worth looking at.

Are you sure you're sending the bits to the DAC in the proper order?

John P

0 Kudos

Yeah John.Actually we've a properly simulated code for parallel to serial data conversion using VHDL and the data is sent like "XXXX12 bit code address(c3c2c1c0)command(s3s2s1s0)XXXXXXXX".This is the standard communication protocal to be followed given in the user guide.Also in the time the data is sent,the conversion pin is set low(DAC_CS)  and then it is set high after all the bits have been passed.This actually I feel ensures conversion of one digital input to analog at a time.Can this be the problem with the clock frequency of the DAC in the sense that is there a possibility that the clock frequency is too high for the DAC to sense the onset of bits?But for the same reason I've divided the clock and made it closer in the order of KHz.
0 Kudos
jprovidenza
Voyager
Voyager

There are different variations of spi timing that use different clock edges, I believe.  Have you checked

that your design provides proper data setup/hold around the  active clock edge?

John P

0 Kudos