11-25-2011 12:05 AM
If I power on my ML-605 board and I connect usb uart to computer, nothing happened.
I can't see any new device in device manager. It look like USB uart doesn't work.
Is there any switch or jumper to start usb uart work??
Or other way how to test status of uart.
The board is new and I just take her out from package.
Thanks for answer
11-25-2011 01:11 AM - edited 11-25-2011 05:29 AM
There are numerous possible causes for the 'nothing happens' problem.
-- Bob Elkind
11-25-2011 05:10 AM
Thank you for answer.
I will answer your questions.
I would like to check if my board is ok so I went through "Getting Started with the Xilinx .....ML 605 Evaluation Kit"
There is initial configuration on Compact flash.
Device (Silicon Labs 210X) should be there (in system-device manager) without configuration in fpga.
Demo program should do this.
I can not set baud rate if device is not in Device manager (My computer-Properties-Device manager)
I can not set com port if there is no device in system.
I installed driver for silicon labs chip 210x
11-28-2011 05:27 AM
have you verified that you're actually plugging the USB plug into the USB UART and not into the USB JTAG? this is a very common mistake on the ML605. double-check against the eteched markings on the PCI bracket when you're plugging the cable in.
03-21-2012 03:19 PM
Hello! i had some problems with my ML605 Embedded Kit.
I try to used for first time, my Virtex-6 FPGA ML605 Embedded Kit. I followed the instructions for the GETTING STARTED WITH THE VIRTEX-6 FPGA ML605 EMBEDDED KIT MANUAL (the Communicating with the ML605 USB-UART stage).
I followed the next instructions:
Communicating with the ML605 USB-UART
Installing the USB-UART driver
1. Execute the installer for the Silicon Labs USB-UART Virtual COM Port (VCP) driver from the Drivers_and_Tools folder on the USB drive shipped with the ML605
Embedded Kit: Drivers_and_Tools\CP210x_VCP_Win2K_XP_S2K3.exe
2. Follow the installer instructions. Restart the computer when instructed to do so.
Connecting to the ML605 UART
1. Connect a USB Type-A to Mini-B 5-pin cable between the ML605 USB-UART connector (J21) and the host computer.
2. Power on the ML605 Evaluation Board if it is not already powered on.
Configuring the Host Computer
1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Select the Hardware tab. Click on Device Manager.
2. Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) entry as shown in Figure 20. This shows the COM port assigned to the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART bridge. This is the COM port to use in the serial communications program
3. If using TeraTerm as the serial communications utility program, right-click on theSilicon Labs CP210x USB to UART bridge and select Properties.
a. Click on thePort Settings tab and then click Advanced.
b. Set the COM port to an open COM port setting from COM1 to COM4. Note thatthe COM port setting for your system may not be the one shown in (Figure 21)-
4. Click OK to exit all open windows.
Testing the USB-UART Driver Installation
1. Start a serial communication program such as HyperTerminal or TeraTerm on the Host
PC with the following settings:
• Baud Rate:9600
• Data Bits:8
• Stop Bits:1
• Flow Control:None
2. Set the SystemACE DIP switches shown in
Figure 2 as listed in Table 2.
Table 2, show this for Switch S1:
---DIP Switch----Switch Position----
3. Press the SYS ACE RESET button (SW3) shown in Figure 22 to re-load the
Benchmarking Demo. Make sure the CompactFlash (CF) card is still inserted.
4. After a lapse of 1 to 5 seconds, the output shown in Figure 23 should be displayed on the serial communication window.
The Silicon Labs USB-UART Virtual COM Port (VCP) driver has now been installed.
BUT ALWAYS THE LED J69 (SYSTEM ACE ERROR LED) is set in "ON", this indicate, i had some problem with the configuration set, but i do not, what is the problem?
Maybe could be the configuration of the jumpers
or the CompactFlash?
Can you help me!
03-21-2012 11:22 PM
Please start a new thread to discuss your new and unrelated topic.
-- Bob Elkind