UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor t.michal
Visitor

Virtex 6 - ML605 USB UART problem

Hi

If I power on my ML-605 board and I connect usb uart to computer, nothing happened.

I can't see any new device in device manager. It look like USB uart doesn't work.

Is there any switch or jumper to start usb uart work?? 

Or other way how to test status of uart.

The board is new and I just take her out from package.

Thanks for answer

Michal

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Virtex 6 - ML605 USB UART problem

There are numerous possible causes for the 'nothing happens' problem.

• Have you read the ML605 User Guide?
  • Is the FPGA configured?
  • Is the ML605 board programmed to echo characters from the uart input to the uart output?
  • Does the FPGA baud rate (and other settings) match the hyperterminal baud rate (and other settings)?
  • Do you have the correct COMx port selected for the hyperterminal session?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor t.michal
Visitor

Thank you for answer.

I will answer your questions.

• Have you read the ML605 User Guide?

I would like to check if my board is ok so I went through "Getting Started with the Xilinx .....ML 605 Evaluation Kit" 

page 11

• Is the FPGA configured?

There is initial configuration on Compact flash.

Device (Silicon Labs 210X) should be there (in system-device manager) without configuration in fpga. 

• Is the LP605 board programmed to echo characters from the uart input to the uart output?

Demo program should do this.

• Does the FPGA baud rate (and other settings) match the hyperterminal baud rate (and other settings)?

I can not set baud rate if device is not in Device manager (My computer-Properties-Device manager)

• Do you have the correct COMx port selected for the hyperterminal session

I can not set com port if there is no device in system.

I installed driver for silicon labs chip 210x

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

have you verified that you're actually plugging the USB plug into the USB UART and not into the USB JTAG?  this is a very common mistake on the ML605.  double-check against the eteched markings on the PCI bracket when you're plugging the cable in.

-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
0 Kudos
Visitor dcastropala
Visitor

Hello! i had some problems with my ML605 Embedded Kit.
I try to used for first time, my Virtex-6 FPGA ML605 Embedded Kit. I followed the instructions for the GETTING STARTED WITH THE VIRTEX-6 FPGA ML605 EMBEDDED KIT MANUAL (the Communicating with the ML605 USB-UART stage).

I followed the next instructions:
Communicating with the ML605 USB-UART

Installing the USB-UART driver
1. Execute the installer for the Silicon Labs USB-UART Virtual COM Port (VCP) driver from the Drivers_and_Tools folder   on the USB drive shipped with the ML605
Embedded Kit: Drivers_and_Tools\CP210x_VCP_Win2K_XP_S2K3.exe
2. Follow the installer instructions. Restart the computer when instructed to do so.

Connecting to the ML605 UART
1. Connect a USB Type-A to Mini-B 5-pin cable between the ML605 USB-UART connector (J21) and the host computer.
2. Power on the ML605 Evaluation Board if it is not already powered on.

Configuring the Host Computer
1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Select the Hardware tab. Click on Device Manager.
2. Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) entry as shown in Figure 20. This shows the COM port assigned to the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART bridge. This is the COM port to use in the serial communications program

3. If using TeraTerm as the serial communications utility program, right-click on theSilicon Labs CP210x USB to UART bridge and select Properties.

a. Click on thePort Settings tab and then click Advanced.

b. Set the COM port to an open COM port setting from COM1 to COM4. Note thatthe COM port setting for your system may not be the one shown in (Figure 21)-

4. Click OK to exit all open windows.

Testing the USB-UART Driver Installation

1. Start a serial communication program such as HyperTerminal or TeraTerm on the Host

PC with the following settings:

• Baud Rate:9600

• Data Bits:8

• Parity:None

• Stop Bits:1

• Flow Control:None

2. Set the SystemACE DIP switches shown in

Figure 2 as listed in Table 2.

Table 2, show this for Switch S1:

---DIP Switch----Switch Position----

1                     off

2                     off

3                     off

4                     on

3. Press the SYS ACE RESET button (SW3) shown in Figure 22 to re-load the

Benchmarking Demo. Make sure the CompactFlash (CF) card is still inserted.

4. After a lapse of 1 to 5 seconds, the output shown in Figure 23 should be displayed on the serial communication window.

The Silicon Labs USB-UART Virtual COM Port (VCP) driver has now been installed.

BUT ALWAYS THE LED J69 (SYSTEM ACE ERROR LED) is set in "ON", this indicate, i had some problem with the configuration set, but i do not, what is the problem?

Maybe could be the configuration of the jumpers

or the CompactFlash?

Can you help me!

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

dcastropala,

Please start a new thread to discuss your new and unrelated topic.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos