UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Vivado 2019.2.1 does not support VCU118 Rev. 1.1 board

Jump to solution

I have a VCU118 Rev 1.1 board.  When I check the version of the VU9P device on this board via Hardware Manager and SYSMON, it shows a device with VCCINT of 0.72V which according to UG1224 (v1.4), page 20, the device part number on the board is xcvu9p-flga2104-2LV-e.

I checked the Xilinx Board Store ( https://github.com/Xilinx/XilinxBoardStore/tree/master/boards/Xilinx/vcu118 ) and the XML files there do not show any Rev 1.1. board nor any mention of xcvu9p-flga2104-2LV-e part.

So how does one compile for this board and device?  The only supported VCU118 board revisions in the Vivado IDE start at Rev 2.0 and only list the 0.85V version of the VU9P device (i.e. xcvu9p-flga2104-2L-e).

If I choose this board and compile my design for the only-supported 0.85V device VCU118 board, I don't believe the rev 1.1 board will accept the generated bit file without explicitily overriding the part in bitgen, nor do I think the timing of the compiled design would be correct since the actual part has different timing than the 0.85V part (e.g. DSP48 block in the 0.72V device have non-pipelined Fmax of 323 MHz vs. 338 MHz and 410 MHz for 0.85V -1 and -2 parts, respectively) as provided in the Ultrascale+ data sheet (DS923).

Also manually changing the part in Vivado IDE project settings throws off the Xilinx  AXI 1G/2.5G Ethernet Subsystem GUI customization settings as it no longer recognizes the VCU118 board and defaults to some larger VU13P device.

So what is one to do?

Thank you

IMG_7749.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Vivado 2019.2.1 does not support VCU118 Rev. 1.1 board

Jump to solution

Hi @egrigor 

Just to add, the device which is actually present on VCU118 rev 1.1 is present in latest Vivado versions. So you can directly use this device and go ahead with his design cycle right instead of reprogramming the rails.

vcu118_device_1,.1.jpg

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @egrigor 

From UG1224, when creating FPGA designs for the VCU118, the correct VCCINT must be chosen in the Xilinx Vivado tool. Choose the appropriate entry for the VCCINT on your board:
For VCU118 rev 2.0  we have VCCINT = 0.85V → xcvu9p-flga2104-2L-e
For VCU118 rev 1.1 we have  VCCINT = 0.72V → xcvu9p-flga2104-2LV-e

Latest tool versions only have the selection of VCU118, rev2.0. Now you have below options for your design cycle with VCU118 rev 1.1 board you have:

1) Complile your design with VCU118 rev 2.0 selection in the tool GUI. This is because the design compiled with VCCINT=0.85V (-2LE or -2LI) if dumped on device with VCCINT=0.72V (-2LE or -2LI) should work well functionally but reverse is not the same. Design compiled with VCCINT=0.72V (-2LE or -2LI) if dumped on device with VCCINT=0.85V (-2LE or -2LI) then design may not function proper due to timing violations.

2) You can use old tool versions which gives you selection of VCU118 rev 1.1 in the board selection GUI as shown below:

VCU118_2017.4.PNG

Regards
Rohit
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Rohit,

Thank you for your reply, however I don't think either of the options are valid or would work.

1) As I noted in my original post, the 0.72V part (-2LV) is SLOWER than the 0.85V part (-2L).  The board is supplying 0.72V to the -2LV part.  Running a design compiled for 0.85V part requires overriding it in Bitgen as the tool prevents sending a mismatched bit file to a target part.  I don't know if the VCCINT supply generator on these boards has programmable voltage capbility or not, but even if it does, according to the datasheet (DS923, Table 2),the 0.72V parts can have a max recommended VCCINT of 0.74V (but the Absolute max VCCINT can go as high as 1.0V per Table1).  Also, the compiled design, timing-wise would be incorrect, as it would falsely show the design is capable of running at a faster clock rate than the actual part can truly achieve (see the DSP48 timing data that I quoted in my original post), therefore I would expect to see lab functional/timing failures due to the design falsely passing static timing analysis.

2) Reverting back to old version of Vivado tools is really not an option (you did not state which version but after some digging, it seems that Vivado 2017.4 was the last version supporting VCU118 Rev 1.1 boards), as our designs entail the use of the Tri-mode EMAC as well as 150G Interlaken IPs, and we have seen in earlier versions of Vivado (2018.? or earlier) were causing issues with 150G Interlaken that seem to have been resolved in at least one aspect starting with the 2019.1 version of Vivado, so as you can see going back in tools version is going to cause problems elsewhere in our complicated and densely-packed designs.

A practical workaround should be available to customers who still need to get designs working on these specific platforms.  Why would Xilinx just drop-off tool support for rev 1.1 of VCU118?  Are there any specific issues with these boards that the latest tools do not support? 

Regards

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @egrigor 

Thanks for letting me know your limitation regarding the 2nd option.

Generally a bitstream generated for a slower speed grade device should work fine in all identical devices with a faster speed grade.A design which meets timing with speedgrade -2L (0.72V) will be functional in HW across all speedgrades thanks to the magin added to the delay numbers.

As per DS923 ,the -2LE devices can operate at a VCCINT voltage at 0.85V or 0.72V and provide lower maximum static power. When operated at VCCINT = 0.85V, using -2LE devices, the speed specification for the L devices is the same as the -2I speed grade. When operated at VCCINT = 0.72V, the -2LE performance and static and dynamic power is reduced.

You can set the VCCINT to 0.85V and there is no board limitation. However you will need to use the Maxim Dongle and Maxim power controller GUI. @travisc can you please confirm on this?

Regards
Rohit

Jump to solution

Yes assuming the part is compatible the Maxim controller can be used to reprogram. I belive maxim is sitll giving out free samples if you havent gotten one before.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/62629.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jump to solution

Hi @egrigor 

Just to add, the device which is actually present on VCU118 rev 1.1 is present in latest Vivado versions. So you can directly use this device and go ahead with his design cycle right instead of reprogramming the rails.

vcu118_device_1,.1.jpg

Regards
Rohit

View solution in original post

0 Kudos