UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Where is a high frequncy clock-capable IO pin in ZCU106?

Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

I am working with Vivado 2018.2 targeting a ZCU106 board.

I am wondering whether there is a high-frequency clock capable IO pin available on the ZCU106 board that I can send out a 250MHz clock signal for monitoring purposes.

Preciously, in KC705, I used the USER SMA CLOCK ports (please see page 88 of here) to send out that clock signal and it was OK. But now, in ZCU106, there are USER SMA "MGT" CLOCK ports (please see page 145 of here) where we cannot use them cause they belong to the GTX Gigabit Tranceiver channels. While I tried to used them, I received a fatal error in implementation step!

Finally, is there any clock capable IO pin in ZCU106 that can handle that clock signal out for monitoring?

Thank in advance for helping me out to overcome this problem.

Bests,

Daryon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Where is a high frequncy clock-capable IO pin in ZCU106?

Jump to solution

@daryon As you are trying to output a clock, drive it onto any GPIO pin. It doesn't need to be clock capable (CC) pin. The restriction for clocks onto CC pins is only for input clocks. 

You can drive your clocks onto the PMOD headers or FMC connector if you have a FMC debug card, something like XM105

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@daryon As you are trying to output a clock, drive it onto any GPIO pin. It doesn't need to be clock capable (CC) pin. The restriction for clocks onto CC pins is only for input clocks. 

You can drive your clocks onto the PMOD headers or FMC connector if you have a FMC debug card, something like XM105

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jump to solution

Hi @daryon

As @gnarahar mentioned ,there are no restrictions for outputting a clock and it can go out on any GPIO pin.

Another point here  to consider is to the ODDR for clock forwarding. Routing a clock directly to an OBUF is not recommended as there is no dedicated routing from clock network to the OBUF. 

Drive the ODDR with clock you want to forward and Tie D1 to '1' and D2 to '0' .This way ODDR will output the logic '1' on posedge and Logic '0 on negedge .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
Thanks for your nice reply. Your post realy deserves a Kudo!
Bests,
Daryon
0 Kudos