cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Which Xilinx development kit is best in terms examples and expansion hardware, ZCU102 or ZCU104?

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I am in serach of a development board to rapidly learn, build and test image processing systems. The idea is to have a set of sensors such as a cameras and/or otherwise followed by some processing and eventually passed to a neural network and further processing. Based on what is available on the market and budget I have narrowed down the search to the ZCU104 or a pre-owned ZCU102. The zedboard with the ZU7EV is very attractive however there seems to be a lack of support and example designs are very important to have. After comparing the development kits a bit I came up with some questions which I couldn't find a clear answer for:

What is the difference between productions MPSOCs and Engineering Samples ? Should I expect a lower performance, errors in the silicon perhaps? or errors in the development kit itself?

The MIPI RX2 Subsytem IP by Xilinx comes with an example project specifically for the ZCU102. This seems to be portable to the ZCU104 but haven't found anything specific. Has this been done before and if so is there a guide available ? 

Finally based on my looking around for MIPI expansion boards to support multiple cameras, I have only found two :

1. PCAM by Digilent - This seems to not be compatible with the ZCU board series
  2. Multi-Camera FMC module by Avnet - This was quite expensive and not exactly what I require. 

Thank you for reading this! 

Luke

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Which Xilinx development kit is best in terms examples and expansion hardware, ZCU102 or ZCU104?

Jump to solution

The MPSOC errata (EN285) document does not indicate any issues with the ZU9EG ES2 device. Not quite sure about this but it seems that it's the only resource of use in this matter.

There is a Xilinx official platform incorporates the MIPI CSI-2 subsystem IP for the ZCU104. It makes use of the Leopard Imaging FMC camera module. This can be found at https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Embedded_Platform_Source I have not yet tested this on hardware myself.

I have not been able to find any low cost FMC modules that allows the use of multiple MIPI cameras with the ZCU102/4 boards.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Which Xilinx development kit is best in terms examples and expansion hardware, ZCU102 or ZCU104?

Jump to solution

Hello, the ZCU-106 Eval Board could be connected to SDI cameras.

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

SDI seems to be used mostly for professional video applications due to it's ability to transmit over relatively long distances and features a robust connector. 

Currently I am more convinced to purchase the ZCU104 because I want to learn as much as possible how to deploy vision based systems. The major advantage with the ZCU102/106 seems to be the transceivers which for me are more of a nice to have for future projects. Also the ZU9EG requries vivado design edition.

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Sounds good, will you be doing HDMI video?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Yes it's easier to work with than the display port. With the DP and hdmi converters I've been having problems in vivado.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

One would think that DisplayPort would be easier because it is integrated into the PS side. Your saying that HDMI is easier but in that case don't you have to go through the PL side because the HDMI IP is in the PL FPGA fabric?

Thanks

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I have experienced no problems using the DP within petalinux for example. In that regard I think it's more difficult to integrate HDMI that resides in the PL and might not make sense just for video output. 

On the other hand, I think for PL based designs it would be easier to use HDMI. And I say this because so far I have not been able to use the DP within the PL and the problem seems to be linked to the DP to HDMI/VGA converters that I have. 

I intend to use HDMI to get a video output from the PL pipeline, which will be made up of a MIPI camera followed by some image processing blocks and eventually to HDMI. Afterward I move everything to PS DDR and integrate into petalinux. Eventually I want to push the result over ethernet, but I'm not sure how to do that yet.  

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Wow! That is a lot to learn and also a lot of fun. Engineering is never dull.

Best of luck!

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks Joe!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

The MPSOC errata (EN285) document does not indicate any issues with the ZU9EG ES2 device. Not quite sure about this but it seems that it's the only resource of use in this matter.

There is a Xilinx official platform incorporates the MIPI CSI-2 subsystem IP for the ZCU104. It makes use of the Leopard Imaging FMC camera module. This can be found at https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Embedded_Platform_Source I have not yet tested this on hardware myself.

I have not been able to find any low cost FMC modules that allows the use of multiple MIPI cameras with the ZCU102/4 boards.

View solution in original post