UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor melika1
Visitor

Writing on LEDs on ZedBoard through a C application with PetaLinux and custom PL

I have successfully run a very simple program with custom PL (with a custom IP core) and its C code on ZedBoard in standalone. Now I want to run the exact same program with PetaLinux, but I have no idea how to do that. I have watched these video tutorials. I have been able to build the PetaLinux image and create BOOT.BIN and boot the board with SD card. But I don't know how to build drivers or module to interact with my custom IP, and how to write the C code (user application) for PetaLinux.

Here is more details. I have created the attached diagram in IP integrator of Vivado 2018.3. It has a custom-made IP, named My_PWM_Core_0, which is connected to 4 LEDs and its input comes from AXI interconnect. The CPU constantly sends a PWM signal to the IP, and as a result, the LEDs brighness constantly changes. According to the Address Editor, the offset address of the My_PWM_Core_0 in memory is 0x43C0_0000, and its High Address is 0x43C0_FFFF. I generated the bitstream, exported the hardware to SDK, and created the following standalone application:

#include "xparameters.h"
#include "xil_io.h"
#define MY_PWM 0x43C00000 //This value is found in the Address editor tab in Vivado (next to Diagram tab)

int main(){
    int num=0;
    int i;

while(1){
        if(num == 1024)
             num = 0;
        else
             num++;

Xil_Out32(MY_PWM, num);
        Xil_Out32((MY_PWM+4), num);
        Xil_Out32((MY_PWM+8), num);
        Xil_Out32((MY_PWM+12), num);

for(i=0;i<300000; i++);
    }
}

I downloaded the .bit file generated by Vivado, and the .elf file generated by SDK on ZedBoard, and it works the way it should.

Now I want to do the exact same thing, but on PetaLinux instead of standalone. I used PetaLinux SDK and the generated hardware platform (.hdf) file to create the Linux Kernel image, FSBL and U-Boot. On the device tree, the

Next, I used the FSBL, the .bit file and U-Boot to generate BOOT.BIN. I transferred the BOOT.BIN and image.ub to the SD card, and Linux successfully boots. However, the LEDs are turned off and I need to write a Linux application to send the PWM signal to the IP. On the device tree of the petalinux, this is how pl.dtsi looks like:

/ {
	amba_pl: amba_pl {
		#address-cells = <1>;
		#size-cells = <1>;
		compatible = "simple-bus";
		ranges ;
		My_PWM_Core_0: My_PWM_Core@43c00000 {
			clock-names = "s00_axi_aclk";
			clocks = <&clkc 15>;
			compatible = "xlnx,My-PWM-Core-1.0";
			reg = <0x43c00000 0x10000>;
			xlnx,s00-axi-addr-width = <0x4>;
			xlnx,s00-axi-data-width = <0x20>;
		};
	};
};

Also, when the zedbord is on, I can find the same device tree under /proc/device-tree/amba_pl/My_PWM_Core@43c00000/ . In this directory, I can see clock-names, clocks, compatible, name, reg, xlnx,s00-axi-addr-width and xlnx,s00-axi-data-width. I'm not sure, if I want to output something on PWM through my C application, do I need to write on one of these files? Or do I need to make a device driver, like a Linux GPIO driver?

I have asked this question before in these forums, but didn't get any helpful reply.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
Capture.JPG
0 Kudos