cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

XUPV5 Ethernet Example Design

I trie to get the example design working on an ML509 board from digilent. I followed the tutorial from fpgadevelopper.com, but the board does not respond over Ethernet.

The RX led stay on, while there is no traffic according to Wireshark. When sending data over ethernet, it does not return the packets. I have tried to bring the data buses between the MAC wrapper and the FIFO's to the expansion headers, but I can't detect any data. Any suggestions ?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Did you try using the EDK project files at the end of the tutorial?

Tri-mode Ethernet MAC

Did you make the correct jumper settings on J22 and J23?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Yes, I did now. But still the same problem. I have checked your files, and as far I can see they are the same. I discovered that when I set the host computer's NIC to 100Mb/dup in it's property's, de RX-led only turns on when sending data. In my first attempts the property  Speed  & duplex was set to Auto (then the led RX stay's on). Also the GPIO LED 7 is ON.  

Jumper J22 en J23 are on 2-3. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Can you possibly try testing with a computer that has a Gigabit Ethernet port (ie. 1Gbps)?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

The host computer has a GbEthernet port, trimode. I  can't set it to just use GbE, only 10Mb and 100Mb , both duplex or simplex, and auto
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Did you try with the ML50x getting started tutorial? It is ug348...it includes a web server demo running fron system ace cf provided with the board.

Use the demo for ML507, it run.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Yes, i did, and that worked fine. It was the first thing I did.

But now I got  the example design working,.... sometimes. It's weird.

When I monitor the signals between the PHY and the MAC, i discovered errored packages, every 20ms. There is "random" data on GMII_RX_DATA, the GMII_RX_DV stay's 0 but the GMII_RX_ER is '1' during the receive of the data. And this is disturbing the normal receiving, so only a few frames are received correctly, and retransmitted.

As reported before the RX LED stay's continually on. To me, this can be explained by the description above.

Anyone who can explaine where that "data" is comming from ?

EDIT: I just found out that if there is data between the PHY an the MAC on the receive channel,it's not random but '0E' mostly.

EDIT2: '0E' Defines a False Carrier indication. Anyone who can explaine me were those Error come from, or what could generate a False Carrier Indication ?

Message Edited by blueconfig on 11-20-2009 06:59 AM
Message Edited by blueconfig on 11-24-2009 02:09 AM
0 Kudos