Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

XUPV5 screws: Dear Xilinx...

Dear Xilinx,

Thank you very much for adding a plastic protector to the bottom of the XUPV5 boards.  It almost certainly will save it from the fate of many other boards that hang out on my desk.  Unfortunately, it obscures the PCIe connector.  Now, this would not be a problem, except for the fact that not only are the screws torx screws, the screws are tamper-proof torx screws, making it impossible to remove them with any standard combination of tools I have around my house and making it even more impossible to drop the board into a machine with a PCIe slot.

My question: whiskey... tango... foxtrot?

No love,

joshua

(real question: what size are these, and where do I obtain the bit to remove these?)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Digilent makes this board.  Contact their support for help http://www.digilentinc.com

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

For reference,  I was able to remove the screws using a 3/32 hollow hex bit. The bit I used is from a <$10 100 piece security bit set.

http://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=100+Piece+Security+Bit+Set

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Obviously complicated stuff..........

get a pair of mini-dogs (mole grips) on the screw, then the pillar underneath is a standard hex spanner , hold screw , rotate the hex pillar.

It is only on finger tight, throw the security screws away and  use whatever pleases you.

mind you , today I watched 3 engineers hang a  2m long picture frame,  total time just over 90 minutes.

0 Kudos