UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer viitk99
Observer

ZC102 not programming with XM105 connected

I am trying to program ZYNQ ultrascale+ board ZC102 with XM105 debug module connected through FMC connector. I am trying to drive the the pins on XM105 using LVDS and LVCMOS18 standard.

I am following all the instructions as per UG537 (XM105 user guide) and ZC102 programming guide.

My observations while trying to program ZC102:

- The three good LEDs on XM105 are not ON. Only one near the FMC connector is ON, other two just blink once when I power ON ZC102. I have not changed any jumper setting on ZC102 or XM105. I am trying to program through JTAG connector.

- I can program ZC102 without connecting XM105.

- When I connect XM105 and try to program ZC102 the board is not detected by Vivado. I am getting the error message that "No device is detected at the target".

Can someone please suggest a method to program ZC102 with XM105? Am I missing something here?

Thank you,

VK

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ZC102 not programming with XM105 connected

Hi @viitk99,

Try to debug By following step4 and step5 in Debug Checklist given https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68386.html.

Regards,

Deepak D N

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Reply or Give Kudos or Mark it as an Accepted Solution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Deepak D N
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Kudo and Accept as a Solution, If it helps.
0 Kudos
Observer viitk99
Observer

Thank you for the reply @ddn

I will try the suggested and get back to you.

- VK

0 Kudos

Hello @viitk99

What is the VADJ supply provided to the card ?

can you confirm if you have followed section 2 on page 18 from UG537.

The status LED from XM105 indicates if they have been powered properly or not.

Please check in this direction. Physical probing near card can also help if you have already provided the proper supply. Please be careful of ESD. Both ZCU102 and XM105 are ESD sensitive.

Thank you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

@viitk99 

- The three good LEDs on XM105 are not ON. Only one near the FMC connector is ON, other two just blink once when I power ON ZC102. I have not changed any jumper setting on ZC102 or XM105. I am trying to program through JTAG connector.

XM105 being an older card doesn't have EEPROM data in IPMI format required by ZCU102 to power on VADJ. Check this SR on how to manually configure the VADJ rail https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/67308.html

- I can program ZC102 without connecting XM105.

- When I connect XM105 and try to program ZC102 the board is not detected by Vivado. I am getting the error message that "No device is detected at the target".

If you look at Figure 3-6 in UG1182, you will notice the JTAG Chain which will break when FMC card is inserted. You need to connect TDI -> TDO on the FMC card to have the JTAG chain. 

jtag_bypass.JPGjtag_xm105.JPG

Can you short Pin 6-7 on J5 of XM105 and check. YOu should be able to detect the device and program it. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Observer viitk99
Observer

Thank you for your inputs.

I followed the procedure from section 2 on page 18 from UG537. But LED lights are still OFF. 

- VK

0 Kudos
Observer viitk99
Observer

Thank you for your inputs.
I am now able to program my board with a shunt connector between TDI and TDO on XM105. But still not getting LED lights ON.

I am planning to use the IOs on XM105 for initial testing. As I able to program the board, I think I can test the signals on IO pins. Is it ok if I do not have the PWR and VADJ Good LEDs ON?

- Vinit

0 Kudos

@viitk99

I am now able to program my board with a shunt connector between TDI and TDO on XM105. But still not getting LED lights ON.

Good to hear. 

I am planning to use the IOs on XM105 for initial testing. As I able to program the board, I think I can test the signals on IO pins. Is it ok if I do not have the PWR and VADJ Good LEDs ON?

No. The IO's coming from ZCU102 are from a Bank whose VCCO is powered off VADJ rail. So you need to set VADJ rail.

Have you looked into this AR https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/67308.html I referred in my earlier post? If not, please do and follow the steps to set the VADJ manually and you should be good to go.

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer viitk99
Observer

Re: ZCU102 not programming with XM105 connected

@gnarahar

I tried to follow the steps mentioned in https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/67308.html.

I was not able to see any data in ZCU102 SCUI and I found that my hardware is outdated. I have May 17 2017 version (As checked from Interface 3).

While trying to update the hardware I had a lot of problem to find out correct method.

Here are the steps I followed:

1) Updated the file firmware_flash_gui_070517.bat to match the port name listed in device manager as:

:: Note: change the "CP201x" to match what your driver names the ports, e.g. CP2105, CP2108, or CP210x.
@ECHO OFF
cd bat
MSP_BSL_Flasher.exe -f "..\elf\MSP_code_070517.txt" -c "Silicon Labs Quad CP2108 USB to UART Bridge: Interface 0" -v -p

2) Updated lines 15 and 56 in ../flash_restore/tests/ZC102/defaults.json to match the port name listed in device manager as:

Silicon Labs Quad CP2108 USB to UART Bridge: Interface 3

3) Ran application BIT.exe and clicked on SYS_CTRL v1.50 RESTORE, followed the instructions. I am getting the following error:

Error: Could not find regular expression in step 0 of test 0 - "(.*)MSP v1.50 I2C Bridge v1.50(.*)"

Info: Result for step 0: Fail
Info: Result for step 1: Pass
Info: Result for step 2: Pass
Info: Result for step 3: Pass
Info: Result for step 4: Pass
Info: Result for step 5: Pass

Info: Result for step 6: Fail

I have attached the logfile with this question. Can you please suggest how can I update the firmware.I have got till this point by following various discussions on the forum. But now I have no idea what to do next.

- VK

0 Kudos

@viitk99 I will have the concerned expert look into this and get back to you. 

- Giri
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @viitk99,

Please go through this AR#69640, which ensure a reliable connection to the ZCU102 System Controller GUI.

I believe till Step 2 in that AR#69640 there is no issue. Please confirm me the same. If there is a issue please follow Step 1 details.

If the date is 5/17 or earlier, then the 2016.4 version of the System Controller GUI should be used with this board.

I observed that your date May 17 2017,  So please load the 2016.4 version of the System Controller GUI on to the board. Please share your results.

Regards,

Deepak D N

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Reply or give kudos or Mark it as an Accepted Solution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Deepak D N
Please Kudo and Accept as a Solution, If it helps.
0 Kudos