UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

ZC706 FMC Connector JTAG Bypass

Jump to solution

Hi All,

We have moved from the ZedBoard (Which we are very happy with) to the ZC706 development platform.  We are using a 3rd Party FMC device again which worked very well on the ZedBoard.   The problem is, that the 3rd party device does not appear to support the daisy chaining of the TDO/TDI lines.  This means that with the FMC card inserted we are unable to configure the FPGA and do any debugging using the ZC706 target board.   We have no desire to debug the 3rd party FMC design so having it in the chain is of no use.    Is there anyway around this problem other than trying to hardware wires on the FMC connector or equivalent?  Do Xilinx sell an adaptor board which bypasses these lines.

Why did Xilinx not put in a bypass switch to handle this annoying situation?   

Regards

Walter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ZC706 FMC Connector JTAG Bypass

Jump to solution

Hi,

ZC706 has switches U32 and U31 which are used to bypass the FMC from the JTAG chaing. Check the Screenshot below from LINK.

1.PNG

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
15 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
Which FMC board is giving you trouble? FMC boards usually have jumpers to short TDO to TDI but some don't.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

ZC706 has switches U32 and U31 which are used to bypass the FMC from the JTAG chaing. Check the Screenshot below from LINK.

1.PNG

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
Participant mozgur
Participant

Jump to solution

how can we use U31 and U32? They are not connected to any jumper or switch on the zc706 board.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

> Why did Xilinx not put in a bypass switch to handle this annoying situation?  

Because, the specification expliticly calls for the FMC module to connect the TDI to TDO on the interface.  This adds zero cost to the FMC module to add a trace connection between these pins on the FMC interface if JTAG is not needed on the module and with out it the FMC module does not comply with the VITA 57.1 specification.   You will need to solder a wire on the FMC module to connect the TDI to TDO pins.

Please post the vendor and part number for this board that is not in compliance.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

> ZC706 has switches U32 and U31 which are used to bypass the FMC from the JTAG chaing.

This is statement is misleading, these are present in all of the Xilinx FMC carrier boards for ease of use and automatically maintaining the connectivity of the JTAG chain per the FMC specification.

The U32 and U31 components are analog IC switches that are controlled by the PRSNT_M2C_B pin of each FMC interface.  If an FMC module is present the analog IC switch routes the TDO output from the FMC interface to the next device and if no module is present then the TDI input to the FMC interface is routed to the next device.  There is no user control for this functionality.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi all,

thanks for your replies.  I have located U31 and will bypass at this chip on the board as it would be too risky to do elsewhere on our system.   I am having issues downloading the board schematic from the Xilinx website,( authenticates but doesn't move on to downloading).  Any idea what the chip part number is so I can look up its spec to tell me its pin out.

Regards

Walter

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I was able to download the BOM and have identified U31/32 as NC7SZ66P5X devices.

Regards

Walter

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Bypassing the switch changes the error on the JTag from,

"The device at 1 position cannot be debugged. It is either not a FPGA or PowerPC/ARM device" to

"Cannot access JTAG-DP: invalid ACK value (0x07, expected=0x02)".   Perhaps the issue is not the switch but the type of device connected to the JTAG lines on the FMC module.  

I will have to chase this up with the module manufacturer.

Regards

Walter
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Ok,

I think the issue is that the 3rd party card does present a JTAG interface on the FMC LPC connector.  However, the interface is most likely for either a CPLD or other CPU type device.   To clarify, under these conditions, for the supplier to be compliant they should present a bypassed JTag interface.   In otherwords, if the JTAG on the 3rd Party's card does not connect to a ARM or Xilinx FPGA, then to adhere to the standard, they must present a bypassed connection?

If the answer is no, then how can we use the ZC706 target with FMC cards that present JTAG interfaces to non Xilinx FPGA and ARM devices?

Regards,

Walter

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

No, the FMC module are not required to create a bypass for the JTAG devices that are on the module. 

You need to define the JTAG chaing correctly including any devices on the FMC module.  This is usually accomplished by scanning the chain and assigning a BSDL file for the unknown (non-Xilinx) devices, but knowing the IR (Instruction Register) Length for the device is enough to allow JTAG software (impact or XMD) to bypass the device.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I would be grateful if you would point me to any available Xilinx documentation on BSDL files and how to modify them.  I tried to query the device using the diligent USB interface with ISE's impact but no joy.  Are there any Xilinx documents which cover this whole JTAG interfac issue on FMC?   Surely a bypass switch on the board would make all of this a lot easier?

Regards

Walter

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Ok,

Using ISE 14.6 with IMPACT I can see  see the devices (2 times xc2c64as), read and, blank check on the external FMC card  with both the Xilinx Platform USB cable, and the Digilent interface.   Therefore, if the Xilinx ISE 14.6  IMPACT tools have no issues why does the SDK have issues with these parts?   Would it not recognize them as Xilinx CPLD devices and bypass them as is done in impact?

Do Xilinx have any BSDL bypass files for these parts?  Can this setup be done in Vivado our do I need to write our own BSDL files to bypass a standard Xilinx part?

Regards

Walter 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I am not an SDK expert and this question is better asked in the Embedded Processing forums, but within SDK you can select Xilinx Tools -> Configure JTAG Settings and it will bring up a dialog box that should allow you to automatically scan the JTAG chain and select the device you want to debug/program.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Ok, 

Just to clarify a few things.   In mentioned in one of my posts that I was unable to use IMPACT with the Diligent Cable drivers.  This was incorrect and hence the follow up post showing that it works.  Initially I was unable to use IMPACT with Vivado because the path to the impact tool was unknown.  I have fixed this by adding to my system path the location of the impact.exe for ISE14.6,   Why I need to do this and the install just not locate it (or provide some sort of install warning) is subject for another post.  Now I am only interested in getting the SDK tools to allow me to configure the Zync and debug C source code in the SDK debugger.  All of this works fine with the ZedBoard.

I have also managed to locate the bsd files for the part xc2c64a in C:\Xilinx\14.6\ISE_DS\ISE\xbr\data.  Why is the type of file .bsd and not bsdl?  Which do I need to use to fix this issue, the content looks very similar?

So to conclude this stage of the post

1. IMPACT on Vivado finds the parts no problem on the external FMC card.  I can read, blank check etc. 

2. The 2 parts are xc2c64a devices.  The IR Length is 8 bits.

3. Configure FPGA still gives me the error.

The device at 1 position cannot be debugged. It is either not a FPGA or PowerPC/ARM device

Program FPGA failed

4. Where do I need to put the .bsd or bsdl file to make it work?

5. I tried to use the configure JTAG Settings tool in SDK to fix this, manually entering the devices, no joy same error.

6. For future reference what is the IR length for the Zync (xc7z045) part?

7. What is the ID code for the zync7000_arm_dap device as impact does not report one, probably because it is an ARM.

Regards

Walter

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

This topic has been continued in this thread http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/Issue-with-JTAG-and-the-ZC706-board-and-3rd-Part-FMC-Device/m-p/403277

All further posts should go there.

0 Kudos