UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

ZCU102 GT issue

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with the transceivers connected to the FMC connector on the ZCU102 evaluation board.

I have a loop-back FMC card that works just fine on other evaluation and custom boards but on this evaluation board, when I use an IBERT test, the EYE is very (very) poor. This is the best EYE that I managed to get:

zcu102_ibert.png

Are there any known issues with this board regarding the transceivers in general and the ones that are connected to the FMC connector in particular?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: ZCU102 GT issue

Are you saying this works on other ZCU102 boards but not this one?

That would most likely be a bad (or damaged) board situation.  Was the board handled properly regarding ESD protections? (Always using a ESD safe workbench, grounding straps, etc.?)

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos

What is the line rate you are using?  You should probably also do a sweep of a few TX amplitudes and try both LPM and DFE equalization. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hello,

I'm comparing this evaluation board to other evaluation boards (other FPGA like kintex7 ultra scale and Virtex7 ultrascale +).

I have 2 ZYNQ ultrascale+ evaluation boards and they act the same.

The maximum line rate is ~6Gbps, through the FMC connector.

0 Kudos

Did you use the same FMC connector on both boards, or did you try different FMC connectors? It would be good to narrow down the problem to FMC connector, or the ZCU102 boards. It sounds like the same issue appeared on two ZCU102 boards, but i wanted to confirm that the test was using the same FMC with both board tests. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

Yes, I tested this with the same FMC mezzanine card.

I have 2 ZYNQ evaluation boards, rev 1.0 and rev 1.1.

I'm seeing the same issue on both boards and on both FMC connectors on those boards.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@travisc @roym Is this a known issue for this evaluation board (especially rev 1.0 and 1.1)?

0 Kudos

This is not a known issue with the board but I'm not sure how well tested the FMC connections are.  My thinking is that it is an issue with the setup of the channel.  Did changing DFE to LPM or changing amplitude have an effect?  Is near end PMA loopback working? 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@roym thanks for the reply.
The near end PMA works only for PRBS 7 pattern, anything above this (9/.../31) and the link is not locked.
When DFE enabled the result is the same (or worse, it's hard to tell).
What do you mean by "changing amplitude", changing the "DIff Swing"?
I created a "sweep" for the TXDIFFSWING, TXPOST and TXPRE parameters and the best result I got can be seen in the image in the first post in this thread (this includes both rev 1.0 and rev 1.1 boards, and both FMC connectors on those boards).
0 Kudos

Are you sure you have a good reference clock?  Is it coming from this FMC card? Is it the same generator used in your other tests?

It would be good to know if turning down the equalization further helps.  Override the RXLPM_HF_CFG and RXLPM_LF_CFG values and set them to 0.  (Page 191 of UG576)

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @roym,

Yes, the clock is good, the source is a 125MHz oscillator that is located on the FMC card.

Yes, this is the same card that I'm using with all other boards.

is it possible to overwrite those parameters for the IBERT design? If so, how?

0 Kudos