UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

ZCU102 real time clock is drifting

The Zynq Ultrascale+ real time clock (RTC) on the ZCU102 board is drifting by about 20 minutes per day.  This is well beyond the drift that might be attributed to inaccuracy of the 32.768KHz (20ppm) crystal that clocks the RTC.

The RTC contains a calibration register (CALIB_WRITE) that stores the value that is used to generate one second based on the oscillator period.  Can anyone tell me how that register value is calculated?   It is returning a value of 0x198223, but based on the 32.768KHz clock, I was expecting the value to be 32,768 (0x8000).

Is there anything else that would account for the large drift we are seeing in the RTC?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: ZCU102 real time clock is drifting

The RTC has a calibration feature that should be able to compensate fractional inaccuracy. Take a look at the RTC Module Register Database.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestion, but I believe the fractional compensation will compensate for minor drifts of 1 or 2 seconds per day.  We are seeing drifts of 20 minutes per day.

We are still unable to find any documentation that explains how the calibration register (CALIB_WRITE) is calculated.  As I explained in my first post, CALIB_WRITE is returning a value of 0x198223, but based on the 32.768KHz clock, we are expecting the value to be 32,768 (0x8000).

0 Kudos

Hi @kinkeads

I'm having this same issue and wondering if you eventually found a solution.

I seem to be getting much more drift than you are, in the order of a few hours a day.

Thanks.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Sorry no, we have not found a fix to the clock drift. 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Are there any updates to this issue?

We have similar problem: The clock on out ZCU102 is skipping one second after every power restart.

So the more we powercycle the board, the RTC is skipping more time.

0 Kudos