UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZCU104 COM Ports/Failed Software Install/Failed Board Interface Test Issue

Jump to solution

I have experienced the same issue as the OPs in the links below:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Boards-and-Kits/Failed-ZCU104-Board-Interface-Test/m-p/871774

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Boards-and-Kits/ZCU104-Software-Install/m-p/877782

I will post a solution that I'm fairly certain that should not have a knock-on adverse effect anywhere else but could somebody from Xilinx please confirm that this solution is suitable?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: ZCU104 COM Ports/Failed Software Install/Failed Board Interface Test Issue

Jump to solution

After investigation, I found that the issue was with the set_ports.bat and zcu_list_ports.bat scripts.

Both scripts attempt to obtain the DeviceID for each COM port, as seen by the first half of line 3 of set_ports.bat, which attempts to find the DeviceID for port B:

powershell -Command "$zcu104_com = \"COM\";$zcu104_comb = Get-WMIObject Win32_PnPEntity | where {$_.DeviceID -match \"FTDIBUS\\VID_[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]\+PID_[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]\+1280[0-9][0-9][0-9][A-E][0-9][0-9][0-9][B]\"}

I was able to find the COM ports in Windows 10 Device Manager manually so I knew they definitely existed and could be connected to:

Ports.PNG

NB: I have changed my port numbers so yours may be different.

I was able to find which was port A, B, C and D by looking at the Device Instance Path in each of the ports' respective properties:

USB_COM_Port_Device_Instance_Path.PNG

You'll notice that the path ends +89082B, the B signifies COM Port B.

However, looking once more at the set_ports.bat script, it looks for Port B to end in the following format:

+1280[0-9][0-9][0-9][A-E][0-9][0-9][0-9][B]

Which does not match the Device Instance Path, therefore by changing this part of the script to:

+89082B

The script can then set the ports successfully (after doing this for all 3 ports):

Set_Ports_Fixed.PNG

The same issue was present in the zcu104_list_ports.bat, and after changing this script as well:

zcu104_List_Ports_Fixed.PNG

When I run the Board Interface Test, all COM port related tests now pass. The PING test does not but this will be down to a separate issue.

I'm fairly certain that this should not have a knock-on effect anywhere else but could somebody from Xilinx please confirm that this solution is suitable?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

After investigation, I found that the issue was with the set_ports.bat and zcu_list_ports.bat scripts.

Both scripts attempt to obtain the DeviceID for each COM port, as seen by the first half of line 3 of set_ports.bat, which attempts to find the DeviceID for port B:

powershell -Command "$zcu104_com = \"COM\";$zcu104_comb = Get-WMIObject Win32_PnPEntity | where {$_.DeviceID -match \"FTDIBUS\\VID_[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]\+PID_[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]\+1280[0-9][0-9][0-9][A-E][0-9][0-9][0-9][B]\"}

I was able to find the COM ports in Windows 10 Device Manager manually so I knew they definitely existed and could be connected to:

Ports.PNG

NB: I have changed my port numbers so yours may be different.

I was able to find which was port A, B, C and D by looking at the Device Instance Path in each of the ports' respective properties:

USB_COM_Port_Device_Instance_Path.PNG

You'll notice that the path ends +89082B, the B signifies COM Port B.

However, looking once more at the set_ports.bat script, it looks for Port B to end in the following format:

+1280[0-9][0-9][0-9][A-E][0-9][0-9][0-9][B]

Which does not match the Device Instance Path, therefore by changing this part of the script to:

+89082B

The script can then set the ports successfully (after doing this for all 3 ports):

Set_Ports_Fixed.PNG

The same issue was present in the zcu104_list_ports.bat, and after changing this script as well:

zcu104_List_Ports_Fixed.PNG

When I run the Board Interface Test, all COM port related tests now pass. The PING test does not but this will be down to a separate issue.

I'm fairly certain that this should not have a knock-on effect anywhere else but could somebody from Xilinx please confirm that this solution is suitable?

View solution in original post

Visitor wenho_nxp
Visitor

Jump to solution

Not pretty, but works.

Thanks, Wen

0 Kudos
Visitor wenho_nxp
Visitor

Jump to solution

Board Interface Test still failed, consequently COM wasn't the root of cause.

See attached file "2018_07_31 Failed ZCU104 Board Interface Test.docx"

Thanks, Wen

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

This solution worked for me. I'm working with ZCU111 RFSoC eval board.

0 Kudos
Observer speedup
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi, 

did you figure this out? I have the same problem ...

0 Kudos
Visitor zheng.wei
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks. I got the same problem, and solved now.
0 Kudos