UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

ZCU111 DAC/ADC how to use?

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I am interested in purchasing Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC ZCU111 Evaluation Kit (https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/zcu111.html#overview) and I have few questions.

xm500.PNG

The figure above is from UG1271's appendix 4. Somehow four DACs and ADCs are differentials while four DACs and ADCs are single-ended. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

UG1271 says "Two channels ADC Low frequency baluns with -3dB attenuators to SMAs." I don't understand what this means. What should I be worried about using these channels compared to other four normal differential ADC channels?

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ZCU111 DAC/ADC how to use?

Jump to solution

Hi @moon5756 

Yes. for x8 you need to make your own custom  daughter card similar to XM500

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Observer sulemanzp
Observer

Jump to solution

As per my understanding.

Two ADCs of Tile 0 are single ended and contains 0-1 GHz Balun.

You can apply signal between DC to 1GHz frequency for ADC testing on those channels. Single ended means you can directly connect RF Signal Source with these ADC via SMA to SMA cable. Also there is no termination on board, so if your source output 50 Ohm terminated signal then you should apply 50 Ohm termination before applying signal.

Two ADCs of Tile 1 are single ended and contains 1-4 GHz Balun.

You can apply signal between 1 to 4GHz frequency for ADC testing on those channels. These channels apply same configuration as above Tile 0.

Four ADCs of Tile 2 and Tile 3 are differential. 

These channels are directly connected to the ADC pins of FPGA. This gives freedom of testing with custom hardware e.g. 400Mhz - 3 Ghz balun in my case. No attenuation. 

Four DACs of Tile 1 are single ended.

Similarly single ended ADCs, two DACs should be used to generate frequency between 0-1 Ghz and two DACs for 1-4 GHz.

Four DACs of Tile 0 are differential. 

These channels are directly connected to the DAC pins of FPGA. You can attatch any hardware which requires differential input. Similar to differential ADC. 

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply @sulemanzp 

I want to create 8x8 system with  to ZCU111. But based on what you stated, is it not possible to create 8 DAC system with the same bandwidth(let's say 2GHz)? because those two single ended DACs cover only 0-1Ghz.

I have a least understanding in analog, so let me know if I understand something totally wrong.

0 Kudos
Observer sulemanzp
Observer

Jump to solution

@moon5756 I am also not good in analog. If you ask my opinion then yes its not possible with XM500 board. I think you need custom board or mod for that two DACs.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @moon5756 

>> Somehow four DACs and ADCs are differentials while four DACs and ADCs are single-ended. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

I am not sure about your statement but please see the screenshot below which shows RFOSC device' s ADC DAC banks mapping to ADC DAC tiles. 

RFSOC.JPG

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@thakurr 

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to create 8x8 system with two ZCU111 (let's say 2GHz bandwidth), or do I need something else to take into account?

I don't fully understand what below statement in ug1271 means, but it seems like four DACs/ADCs need some special treatment?

• Two DACs and two ADCs routed to HF baluns with –1dB Pi pad attenuators and then to SMAs

• Two DACs and two ADCs routed to LF baluns with –3dB Pi pad attenuators and then to SMAs

• Four DACs and four ADCs routed to SMAs for use with external custom baluns and filters

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @moon5756 

To evaluate the full bandwidth performace , some ADCs and DACs as mentioned in UG1271 are routed to

SMA connector via HF (High frequency ) baluns and Low frequency baluns respectively .

ADCs and DACs routed through Low frequency baluns paths are intended for signal upto 1 Ghz and High frequency baluns paths are intended from 1Ghz to 4 Ghz.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@pthakare 

I see, thanks a lot. One last question. So if I want to construct 2GHz MIMO system, is the maximum the number of channels I can get 6? because two low frequency baluns are bounded up to 1 GHz?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @moon5756 

Yes. for x8 you need to make your own custom  daughter card similar to XM500

View solution in original post

Visitor sungh
Visitor

Jump to solution

• Two DACs and two ADCs routed to HF baluns with –1dB Pi pad attenuators and then to SMAs

• Two DACs and two ADCs routed to LF baluns with –3dB Pi pad attenuators and then to SMAs

• Four DACs and four ADCs routed to SMAs for use with external custom baluns and filters

i want to use 4x4, that is 4 ADCs, 4 DACs. 2GHz. According to what you have said, i can use " Four DACs and four ADCs routed to SMAs for use with external custom baluns and filters", right? But i need to have my own baluns and filters?

0 Kudos