UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor abhiag
Visitor

Zedboard power analysis & measurement?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I would like to analyze the power breakdown of a design running on Zedboard using both the ARM core & the FPGA fabric. Xpower Analyzer is only giving estimates for the FPGA slices, DSP etc. Which tool would be most suited to estimating or measuring the power consumed by the ARM core running a variety of applications?

Are there IP blocks on Zedboard that monitor & provide the power consumption of the programmed designs?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Zedboard power analysis & measurement?

Jump to solution

a,

There is no provision in the ZedBoard for power measurement (series resistors).

And, I believe folks here are still working on adding the power estimation for the ARM processor side of Zynq to the tools (not ready yet).

My zc702 board has extensive capabilities for power measurement, but then it is a much more expensive board!

When running the Sobel filter example, or the linux 'busy box' shell, the Zynq part is running less than 1.5 watts here on my desk (at room temperature).  That is everything:  fpga fabric, and processor cores.  Of course, your application will be different.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

a,

There is no provision in the ZedBoard for power measurement (series resistors).

And, I believe folks here are still working on adding the power estimation for the ARM processor side of Zynq to the tools (not ready yet).

My zc702 board has extensive capabilities for power measurement, but then it is a much more expensive board!

When running the Sobel filter example, or the linux 'busy box' shell, the Zynq part is running less than 1.5 watts here on my desk (at room temperature).  That is everything:  fpga fabric, and processor cores.  Of course, your application will be different.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

Visitor abhiag
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply, Austin!

In another related post, you had mentioned about the AMS blocks being used in this context. Is that inapplicable to the Zedboard?

I understand about the ongoing efforts for power tools for the ARM processor. Does this include Xilinx Power Estimator (excel based estimates) as well?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

a,

From the schematics, I see no series resistors (shunts), so I do not see how one can measure power.

I will not comment on the features, or the dates for release of new tools.  But, obviously, the processor sub-system power is part of the Zynq, so stay tuned.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor abhiag
Visitor

Jump to solution

@austin wrote:

Hi Austin,

Could you elaborate on the available ways for Zynq power measurement for zc702 board or point me to relevant documentation (ug850 v1.1 does not have any info on shunt resistors)?

Ideally I would like to measure power of just the ARM dual core, but obtaining the total XC7Z020 SoC dynamic power (at a high enough resolution) while running different applications would also be very useful. 

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/zc702_14-1.htm

You may download the schematics.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor saurabh.ag
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi, Austin !!

I am working with ZC702 board, I would like to analyze power readings of the design consumed by FPGA fabric and the processor cores. As you have mentioned ZC702 has extensive capabilities for power measurement, could you please suggest some method/tool for power monitoring?

Thanks in advance!

-Saurabh

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

s,

On page 40 of the schematics, you will see the .005 ohm shunts.  These go through a signal conditioner and can be measured to get the current.  The voltages can the be measured.  V * I = P.

Search for:

zc702 power measurement example design

And start reading.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor saurabh.ag
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for quick reply, Austin!

I have a small confusion, Zedboard(Avnet/Digilent ZedBoard) and ZC702 both has XC7Z020-1CLG484C(ES). So, can I use Zynq-7000 AP Soc Power application to identify the power consumption of the design on Zedboard?

At present, I am using the current sense PIN on the Zedboard to identify the power consumption. But its gives overall power consumption of the board, I need to analyze power consumption of design individually running on PS and  PL. 

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

s,

I do not know.  They may use different vendor's power ICs.  I am unfamiliar if the Zedboard has series sense resistors and signal conditioners.  The zc702 is designed for maximum flexibility.  The zedboard for students.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Visitor microlijun
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @saurabh.ag 

Did you figure out how to analyze power consumption individually for PS and PL? 

If not, can you tell me how to measure the overall power consumption of a zedboard?

Thanks.

0 Kudos