Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmitrip
Visitor
Visitor

buying fpga's

Hello,  

I'm new to FPGA's and would appreciate advice or a pointer to useful reference.  

I've been using the virtex 4 and virtex 5 evaluation platforms and would like to understand what happens when I want to get a particular fpga to run something not on an evaluation platform.  Suppose I decide that a particular FPGA from the Virtex 6 family is right for my application (talking to instruments and doing DSP in a physics lab).  What do I get when I order it from Xilinx?  Just an fpga that I should then put on my own pcb?  Is it on a board that already has JTAG pins so I can configure it?  And if I want to use some IO pins to talk to ethernet or an ADC or DAC, should I make a pcb that connects to the fpga in the desired way?  

Thanks for any help or references you may have

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

When you buy an FPGA, for instance a XC6VLX240T-1FFG1156C, you are buying just the device.  If you want to use it then you need to design a board that matches the FPGA and have the part assembled on the board.

This is no different then buying any semiconductor IC.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

There are many FPGA-based development boards available from Xilinx, Digilent, and Avnet.  These development boards are (more or less) general purpose designs with considerable flexibility.  If one of these boards can meet your needs, you might save considerable money and time (and design risk!) by purchasing one of these boards rather than designing, fabricating, assembling, and debugging your own custom board.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos