UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer lino89
Observer

clock input in spartan 3

Jump to solution

i am using spartan 3 xcs400 tq144 starter kit for my design and i need to give clock input  to the design.

i am used to give the input by program but for this design i need to use the clock already available on the board.

pls help me to resove this problem

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: clock input in spartan 3

Jump to solution
Input buffers (IBUF, IBUFG, IBUFDS, IBUFGDS) pass external signals to the intrnal logic and output buffers (OBIF, OBUFDS) pass internal signals to external logic. So, yes if you assign an input buffer to the same pin that is connected to a clock signal and you have also assigned a compatible IOSTANDARD then the clock will be propagated to the internal logic.
------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

you can use the on board clock for your purpose.

If you can give more details of the exact spartan3 kit you are using and what exactly your issue on using the

clock present on the board.

We will be able to give you more suggestions.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer lino89
Observer

Jump to solution

spartan 3 xcs400 - tq144

0 Kudos
Observer lino89
Observer

Jump to solution

to use on board clock which pin no: i have to assign 

spartan 3 xcs400- tq144

0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am not sure the board you are using but its from digilent then you should check this user guide

http://www.digilentinc.com/Data/Products/S3BOARD/S3BOARD_RM.pdf (Page no 35)

If the board is from different vendor you should be checking board user guide it should have the details about the board clock pin and all

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer lino89
Observer

Jump to solution

if i assign input pin any of the gclk will it use input from the on board clock

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Input buffers (IBUF, IBUFG, IBUFDS, IBUFGDS) pass external signals to the intrnal logic and output buffers (OBIF, OBUFDS) pass internal signals to external logic. So, yes if you assign an input buffer to the same pin that is connected to a clock signal and you have also assigned a compatible IOSTANDARD then the clock will be propagated to the internal logic.
------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com