UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor fanios
Visitor

configuration problem spartan 3an

Hi.I use a spartan 3an starter kit for my thesis. My thesis is on two axis sun tracking. i have problem with configuration. i have read manuals but i can t understand how to set the jumpers . so i haven t downloaded anything yet . i just use usb / jtag cable.any help please?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: configuration problem spartan 3an

so i haven t downloaded anything yet

You can learn by trial and error, there will be no harm done.

i just use usb / jtag cable.any help please?

Try using the JTAG cable and IMPACT software to configure the FPGA.  The software will tell you if there is a problem.

Then try programming the onboard configuration memory.  If jumpered incorrectly, the FPGA will not configure, and you will know that the jumper settings are incorrect.

You should understand how a Spartan-3AN device 'configures' itself at power up.  There is a Spartan-3 Configuration User Guide which explains how this works, both with an overview and with excruciating details for the various modes (and jumper settings).

I write this suggestion for trial and error because there is no explanation I could possibly write that would be more clear than the description in the Starter Kit Board User Guide (UG334), on page 39 (Table 4-1).

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor fanios
Visitor

First of all thank u. If u go to page 97 : "For direct programming, the FPGA’s PROG_B pin must be held Low. Insert a jumper

in jumper J16, as shown in Figure 12-4. This holds all the FPGA’s I/O in three-state to
allow the JTAG programmer full access to the SPI PROM pins.." Finally it worked after taking that jumper. Did i do something wrong? Why that ?  I have read manual.I want to ask something. I have a little experience on fpgas and vhdl. The most difficult i have implemented is to download a program which was 'ping pong'(using leds and switches) . Is controling the adc controller so simple or i should know something more? thank u

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

For direct programming, the FPGA’s PROG_B pin must be held Low. Insert a jumper in jumper J16, as shown in Figure 12-4. This holds all the FPGA’s I/O in three-state to allow the JTAG programmer full access to the SPI PROM pins.

This describes direct SPI flash programming.  This function is no longer provided in the ISE 12.x or 13.x toolset (specifically, Impact).  With the current toolset, SPI Flash memory programming is performed in 'indirect' mode, connecting the programming cable to the FPGA's JTAG port.

If it worked, I'm not going to argue with you!

Is controling the adc controller so simple or i should know something more?

If you understand the following, you should have little problem:

• What an ADC does
  • How to read a datasheet (specifically the ADC datasheet) and board schematics
  • How FPGAs work
  • How synchronous digital logic works
  • How to read and write HDL code (Verilog or VHDL)
  • How to locate and learn from the example designs which are available from the Xilinx website

If you have trouble with these hurdles, post again with specific problems or questions, and useful responses should follow.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor fanios
Visitor

This is the code i have made so far .It is made by the manual (ug334) . It should work but it doesn't.All clk signal are checked and working right.Could anyone take a look and check if i am making something wrong or maybe i haven't understand something in the manual. Thanks

0 Kudos