UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

k7 connectivity network adapter not show up

I got a K7 Connectivity board and installed it on a 32 bit win 7 computer, mounted the FMC card and the loop fibers, installed the drivers and initiated the control and monitoring interface, seleted the mode application for TRD setup. I could see the DMA adapter in device manager, but could not see network adapters, the 10g phys show green.  I attached the pic shows what happened.

Thanks

device.jpg
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Re: k7 connectivity network adapter not show up

The BIST tests all passed, there is no network adapter shows in Device Manager and no packets or activy on the performance plots manu of the Application mode GUI as shown in the pictures

application peer 2 peer no packets.jpg
Ethernet Test Pass.jpg
sw13 loc 1_2 low re-programmed.jpg
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

The SW13 pins 1 and 2 are set to low, different from what says in UG929, if I set the two bits to 1, all the leds (1 through 7) will be off, even the XDMA Adapter in Device Manager will disappear. So I thought that might be a miss on the UG929, bits 1 and 2 are set to high for BIST and low for application.

0 Kudos

Hello @heyongsheng ,

Indeed, bits 1 and 2 need to be set to high for BIST tests.

First, can you please confirm that switches P1 and P2 on the FM-S14 FMC
card are in the ON position?

image.png

Indeed, after the successful driver installation, if you then select application mode in the GUI, the two new local area networks should get displayed.

Based on the note in UG929, i.e.: In the Windows operating system, only peer to peer mode can be enabled. For enabling peer
to peer mode, two PCIe-compatible host PCs are required.

In your case, based on the screenshot, peer2peer is enabled. 
Do you see the same behaviour if peer2peer is Not enabled? Can you try this please and see if the same behaviour is still seen?

image.png

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Anatoli for helping with this issue, yes, the switch position1 and 2 on FMC card are at on position, actually I switched all of the 4 locations to on, see the attached pictures. One the pictures are for the leds, one led in the middle shows off, actually it is flashing, led 2,3,4 are flashing. Seems leds did not show anything wrong. I was using latest driver files downloaded from Xilinx K7 Connectivity Kit link, if you think I might need to try different verison, please let me know.

I did see network adapter shows up everytime I switch the position 1 and 2 of the SW13 to high and then throw those back to low, (if 1 and 2 are on low positions, all the leds 1 through 7 are off, I think the setup of 1 and 2 are high is for BIST only?) . Once I throw the 1 and 2 of sw 13 to high and back to low, I could see one network adapter (not two), I could see a mark to remind that a driver is needed in Device Manager. Then I tried the application mode (peer to peer), some errors showed up says ' no drivers found'. Then I had to re-program the FPGA to go back to original status. I am not sure the info in this paragraph is helpful, but still put there for reference.

E70FFBC6-6E21-479F-9AD6-712A53036DD7.jpeg
E2065392-339B-44B8-8553-CEE4C4846955.jpeg
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Actually I noticed that only peer to peer mode for application is available on my windows setup, every time I check off the peer to peer and click the configure button, I saw peer to peer is still enabled. I am assuming all the tests are on peer to peer mode if in aplication. 

0 Kudos

Hello @heyongsheng ,

Thanks for the info.

I've asked other experts about this matter and the fact that once you throw 1 and 2 of sw 13 to high and back, you can see one network adapter, as well as an adapter that is missing a driver, or needs a driver. This sounds like a driver problem, which is good news.

When switching the switch 1 and 2, it sounds like this is kicking off the connectivity check in windows, and it validates that hardware is connected.
As this is an extremely old design, you are going to need whatever the recommended drivers were at the time of this guide (dec 16 2014). Looking through the guide, it is not clear what the specific ethernet driver is.

Would you be able to check this on another machine, to see if you have similar issues?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Anatoli for all the info, I tried different versions for 2014, not be able to solve the issue yet. I tried Fedora, only the original desktop computer network device shows up on the Fedora platform, did not get another to try another computer yet.

Thanks

Kevin

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Anatoli

Do you have a k7 board so you can setup an environment and try it out 

Thanks 

Kevin

0 Kudos

Hello @heyongsheng ,

Is Fedora 16 what you've tried this with?
The Fedora 16 LiveDVD is provided in the kit, that you can use. The DVD contains a complete, bootable 32-bit Fedora 16 environment with the proper packages installed for the TRD demonstration environment. The PC boots from the CD-ROM drive and logs into a liveuser account. This account has kernel development root privileges required to install and remove device driver modules.

Do you still have this DVD? If so, please follow the "Installing the Linux Device Drivers" section (page 18 of UG927).

If needed, you can download the Fedora 16 64-bit OS from the below link:
http://www.fedoraproject.org (https://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/16/Live/x86_64/)
It is advised that user installs the full version of Fedora (DVD ISO image) on the machine with PCIe slot in it. Refer to UG929 for more details on PCIe host machine.

For Windows 7, you may want to try the 'Enabling Debugging with the Windows Driver' section (page 123) and set the 'enable debug messages:'. See if you can get any errors or messages related to drivers?

Hope this helps.

BTW, i've checked here and I don't have k7 connectivity kit available, so unfortunately I can't perform the test at my end.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos