UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor jpnova
Visitor

need example VHDL design for ML605 LCD

Jump to solution

I'm looking for an example VHDL design for controlling the ML605 eval board LCD device using 4-bit mode (8-bit not implementable per the Xilinx schematic).  The Displaytech S162D spec doesn't do a good job of showing how to write a line of text, i.e., no full timing illustrations or command sequences. Plus I don't follow how 4-bit mode works since it appears you give up many of the function commands.  For a first-timer using an LCD, a working reference design would help.  Anyone know where to get one?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor jpnova
Visitor

Re: need example VHDL design for ML605 LCD

Jump to solution

Thanks Bob.  I found a really good VHDL example in a reply to similar question (subject "Re: ML605 LCD operation") with attached file lcd_control.vhd.  I've reattached it here.  I think that's enough to get me going.  I'd like to avoid using PicoBlaze since that's another thing I don't have experience with and I want my code to be stand-alone, although it appears Xilinx has good documentation on that implementation.  I guess I'll find out soon enough how difficult it will be using straight VHDL.  I'm what you might call a brute-force type of firmware designer.

I also saw the threads from people complaining about how you need to look back at Spartan-3 kits to glean useful info about controlling the LCD since the ML605 docs have very little detail.

Regards,

JP

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

This is a frequently asked question.  The same LCD interface and protocol is used in (I think) every Xilinx FPGA development board.

Here's a thread with the same topic, and very useful information.

Hey, next time, try using the forum SEARCH facility.  You can find all sorts of cool stuff without the waiting.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor jpnova
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks Bob.  I found a really good VHDL example in a reply to similar question (subject "Re: ML605 LCD operation") with attached file lcd_control.vhd.  I've reattached it here.  I think that's enough to get me going.  I'd like to avoid using PicoBlaze since that's another thing I don't have experience with and I want my code to be stand-alone, although it appears Xilinx has good documentation on that implementation.  I guess I'll find out soon enough how difficult it will be using straight VHDL.  I'm what you might call a brute-force type of firmware designer.

I also saw the threads from people complaining about how you need to look back at Spartan-3 kits to glean useful info about controlling the LCD since the ML605 docs have very little detail.

Regards,

JP

0 Kudos