Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

no response when program the chip

Hi all

Im playing Spartan-3E start kit as a beginner. I wrote a function code before and it works pretty good. And i didn't use the FPGA board for a while. Im trying to re-start today, but I got problem when trying to program the chip. 

Im using the boundary scan -> load bit file->program the FPGA. it works good before. However when i try to power on the FPGA board, the LED failed to show : hello SPARTAN 3E words.

When i open iMPACT. I can successfully connect to the device and i can  get Device ID, Signature/Usercode and read usercode.... however when i program it, the excutive command progress in window "configuration operation"  stays in 0%. it stucked.

I've no idea about what happened to the board. :smileysad:

anybody got the idea??

Thanks a lot.

~vivi

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: no response when program the chip

Sorry to hear that, and it is odd that impact would stay at 0%. 

Can you do a "Read Device Status" or "Read IDCODE" on the device?  Running these operations may help shed more light on the problem. 

If imapct is hanging you can always record the operations into an SVF file and then play that file back in the GUI.  Just right click in the workspace and select Output-SVF File and then you will start recording all operations to the file.  Go back to the device and select program.  Then go back to output-svf and stop writing to the file.  Then you can erase the device in the GUI, add the SVF file, and select exectute.  This will manually play the same JTAG operations as programing the device. 

You can also always double check the jumpers on the board and make sure you are in JTAG mode.  Maybe there is flash interference during config on the board.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I can read the status and the IDCODE. The only think i cant do is programming.  :(   

at the beginning i though the problem is the configuration or the software, but when i restart the board, i cant see the "hello" words, which means the board didn't restart automatically. I dont know why...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If you can get data in, but not get data out there must be a problem with TDO. 

Now, if you power cycle check the DONE pins and if DONE is not high the part is not configuring from flash. 

If the jumpers are all set right and both JTAG and Config from Flash are not working there may be something really wrong with the baord.  Get a scope and start checking power supplies.  There may be a blown power regulator on the baord that could easily be replaced.

0 Kudos