UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

preferred connector for GPIO virtex 5

This is a very basic query. I am using Xilinx Virtex 5 evaluation board. https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/ug347.pdf

The board has 3x32 expansion headers of which the middle 32 pins are ground. (part number 10 in page 10 of the above pdf).

I want to know what is the preferred cable that can be connected to these GPIOs? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: preferred connector for GPIO virtex 5

@rsashwinkumar Those are standard 0.1 inch male headers. Depending on what you are trying to interface, you can use a female receptacle with cable. 

It would be better if you can share what you are trying to interface with to get a better response. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can use GPIO cable . See the image

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
gpio-cable-male-to-female.jpg
0 Kudos

Thanks for prompt reply. I am trying to program the FPGA as a SPI slave while another chip will be acting as the master. I am planning to use the GPIOs to connect the serial clock, data in and outs. The other IC (master) will be mounted on a custom made PCB and so wanted to know the kind of cable that could be used to connect to the GPIOs.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Are you design board or using existing board . Your query not clear to me. You may check this board which has SPI interface. For example ML505/ML506 board
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/ug347.pdf

Refer board schematic and BOM.
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos