cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

programming SPI Flash with only Non-Configuration Data (Hex file) in ML509 Board

Hi,

I'd like to program the SPI Flah with a hex file by iMPACT (ISE 13.1). I think the only way is converting hex file to mcs file.

When I use "Create PROM File (PROM File Formatter)" to create mcs file, I must add one bit file and one hex file to create a mcs file.  How I can creat a mcs file by only having a hex file? actually I want to program SPI Flash with only Non-Configuration Data.

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: programming SPI Flash with only Non-Configuration Data (Hex file) in ML509 Board

Verify  your requirement to program the SPI Flash with a hex file? Generally hex file can be used in case of microprocessor/xsvf cases.  

FYI: The following are typical methods to generate hex files

Double-click Generate File in the iMPACT Processes panel or right-click in the PROM File Formatter window and select Generate File. This operation generates PROM file(s) in PROM File Formatter mode (.mcs, .exo, .hex, .tek) or System ACE™ file(s) (.ace) using the bitstream and device information that you have already entered. In your case you can use formatter mode as .hex

To convert a MCS file into a BIN (HEX or EXO) file please refer http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/23174.htm  

If the above information is useful to your requirement  please accept post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: programming SPI Flash with only Non-Configuration Data (Hex file) in ML509 Board

Hi,

The procedure that you said actually converts a bit file to hex file. But my problem is another thing. I have a processor.bit file

and this bit can be programmed directly on the FPGA. Also I have a program.hex file which processor should execute this file through SPI. Thus, I'd like to program SPI Flash only with program.hex file. Actually I'd like to insert my hardware directly in FPGA, and insert my software in SPI Flash. Do you know any solution for this condition?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos