UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor stoffler
Visitor

zc706 ethernet does not work

Jump to solution

After successfully working with the zc702 board for one year, we just bought a zc706. There I cannot get ethernet to work on the included TRD system. First I tried to configure eth0 from the Linux command line, but later discovered that ping does not even work from the u-boot command line.

Here is what I did:

- copied all files from zc706-pcie-trd-rdf0287/prog_qspi to an empty sdcard
- boot from sdcard (SW11 off-off-on-on-off)
- on the serial console pressed a key to stop autoboot
- entered ping 10.10.70.201

This is the output:

I2C:   ready
Memory: ECC disabled
DRAM:  1 GiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
MMC:   zynq_sdhci: 0
SF: Detected S25FL129P_64K with page size 128 KiB, total 32 MiB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   Gem.e000b000
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
zynq-uboot> ping 10.10.70.201
PHY is not detected
Phy not found
Using Gem.e000b000 device

Abort
ping failed; host 10.10.70.201 is not alive

Executing the same steps (stopping autoboot, pinging on the u-boot command line) perfectly works with the old zc702 board.

Am I missing something basic or do I have a defect board??

Thx
Norbert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor stoffler
Visitor

Re: zc706 ethernet does not work

Jump to solution

Problem fixed.

After a lot of debugging we found out, that in the TRD everything worked fine, beside of the MDIO connection between GEM (the Gigabit Ethernet Controller) and the external Phy. Also a little testprogram that tried to read from all MDIO addresses did not discover the Phy. The ethernet echo test in the BIST worked though.

By trial and error we narrowed the difference between TRD and BIST down to the first stage bootloader:

$ ll zc706-pcie-trd-rdf0287/boot_image/zynq_fsbl.elf
-rw-r--r-- 1 norbert norbert 471090 2013-07-15 10:45:34 zc706-pcie-trd-rdf0287/boot_image/zynq_fsbl.elf

$ ll zc706_bist/ready_for_download/zynq_fsbl.elf
-rw-r--r-- 1 norbert norbert 374290 2013-06-20 06:25:52 zc706_bist/ready_for_download/zynq_fsbl.elf

After copying the zynq_fsbl.elf from BIST to TRD the Ethernet works also on Linux. For everybody else struggling on Linux, it is important that you see these two lines at the end of the boot messages:

xemacps e000b000.eth: Set clk to 124999998 Hz
xemacps e000b000.eth: link up (1000/FULL)

Though my problem is solved now, it would be interesting to have a more technical explanation. What "Magic" is required to correctly initialize the Phy and why is it missing in the TRD FSBL?

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
check whether the Ethernet is configured in the PL or in PS.

If it is configured through the PL, Caches need to be enabled.
Visitor stoffler
Visitor

Jump to solution
Hello jangire, thanks for your quick response, but could you please give me a little more detail? What I finally want is to run a linux that uses the "hard" ethernet block from the PS. So far, I haven't configured anything but only used the bitstream from the zc706-pcie-trd-rdf0287/prog_qspi example. Is ethernet supposed to work in this config? Thx Norbert
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
Hi ,

To test the board ethernet diagnostics , Please can you download the BIST design files to target and can you check once.

If you want to runthe linux on board, Bring the board to UBoot and try to load the image file.

Regards
jangi reddy
0 Kudos
Visitor stoffler
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi again,

- the ethernet test in the BIST works, so its at least no HW defect

- from the u-boot commandline from the TRD package there is no ethernet available (see error in initial post).

- so to me, the open questions now are:

1) is ethernet supposed to work in the TRD?

2) if not, what is missing?

2.1) is it a missing initialization in the SW, i.e. u-boot has to be recompiled?

2.2) or is it a missing config of the HW, i.e. a new bitstream has to be created in vivado?

Thx

Norbert

0 Kudos
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have similar problem as @stoffler

I load an example TRD PCIe Video design on zc706. The log seems to be ok, Linux is alive, as well as Ethernet interfaces (see attached screenshot).

However, I cannot do ping or reconfigure the Ethernet interface.

Linux distribution running on the board seems to be limited, and doesn't  contain standard tools to reconfigure Ethernet (things like dynamic DHCP, netmask, etc.).

I'd appreciate if somebody publishes commands to reconfigure Eth. that work with that Linux distribution.

Thanks,

Evgeni

Tags (1)
zc706_ethernet1.jpg
Visitor stoffler
Visitor

Jump to solution

@evgenis1: You can simply reconfigure ethernet with

ifconfig eth0 <ip-in-your-network>

afterwards your board should be pingable

0 Kudos
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Jump to solution

What if I want to set it up as dynamic DHCP. By default the board comes up with static IP.

ifconfig doesn't have this option

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Visitor stoffler
Visitor

Jump to solution

Problem fixed.

After a lot of debugging we found out, that in the TRD everything worked fine, beside of the MDIO connection between GEM (the Gigabit Ethernet Controller) and the external Phy. Also a little testprogram that tried to read from all MDIO addresses did not discover the Phy. The ethernet echo test in the BIST worked though.

By trial and error we narrowed the difference between TRD and BIST down to the first stage bootloader:

$ ll zc706-pcie-trd-rdf0287/boot_image/zynq_fsbl.elf
-rw-r--r-- 1 norbert norbert 471090 2013-07-15 10:45:34 zc706-pcie-trd-rdf0287/boot_image/zynq_fsbl.elf

$ ll zc706_bist/ready_for_download/zynq_fsbl.elf
-rw-r--r-- 1 norbert norbert 374290 2013-06-20 06:25:52 zc706_bist/ready_for_download/zynq_fsbl.elf

After copying the zynq_fsbl.elf from BIST to TRD the Ethernet works also on Linux. For everybody else struggling on Linux, it is important that you see these two lines at the end of the boot messages:

xemacps e000b000.eth: Set clk to 124999998 Hz
xemacps e000b000.eth: link up (1000/FULL)

Though my problem is solved now, it would be interesting to have a more technical explanation. What "Magic" is required to correctly initialize the Phy and why is it missing in the TRD FSBL?

View solution in original post

Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Jump to solution

Hi,

What is the exact flow to apply the fix. I understand it's:

1. copy zynq_fsbl.elf from BIST to  ./zc706-pcie-trd-rdf0287/boot_image/

2. generate new z7_pcie_trd.bit in PlanAhead. It should pick up new zynq_fsbl.elf during compilation of system.xmp

3. copy z7_pcie_trd.bit into ./prog_qspi directory along with other files, and program flash.

Thanks,

Evgeni

Tags (2)
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Jump to solution

Ok, figured that out.

Instructions of how to build boot image are here:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq+PCIe+TRD+14.6

Section 6.

After taking zynq_fsbl.elf from BIST, ethernet connection came alive.

Tags (2)
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi

I confirm that the ethernet interface of the zc706 is working fine both inside u-boot and the linux.

it does not make sense ro run pre-built fsbl by xilinx before running u-boot and I don't understand why I should in any way relay on trd design or the bist design files for my project.

so, using edk (xps) you can configure the zynq sub-system easily and enable eth0 ( base address e000b000) and then generate the ps7_init.tcl (and if required in your flow the fsbl) and then you can use them to bring up your system.

Every thing works fine and there is no problem.

M.S.Sadri.

0 Kudos
Visitor anandvlps
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi stoffler,

Could please guide me in the following. I am using zc702 board. In this i want to send transport stream data from PS over ethernet which is connected to PL. I have gone through xapp1082, but could not figure out how to initialize destination address and how to send to data. 

I request you to help me in this regards.

0 Kudos
Newbie austtzr

Jump to solution

We had a similar problem using a fsbl created with SDK: Ethernet did not work at all.

When checking on the other side with wireshark there were malformed packets (ping from ZC706 to PC).

Also there seemed to be something wrong with the clock:

When connected to Gigabit-Ethernet the clock was set to ~117MHz, on 100Mbit to ~24,5Mhz wich could explain the malformed ping packets.

After replacing the fsbl with the prebuilt version from the 14.6 release (http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq+14.6-2013.2+Release), ethernet is working.

So the SDK of Vivado 2014.2 produced a non working fsbl, and i don't know what we could have done wrong...

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

This forum post is very old and created long time back (in the year of 2013).

Please do not post any further replies for this forum post. If there is are any follow on questions with regards to this issue please post a new query.

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Visitor jinsungroy
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thank you Evgeni!!! You saved me :D
0 Kudos