UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

AXI UART16550: the internal FIFO is too small

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am using the AXI UART16550 (2.0) IP in my Zynq Ultrascale+ design. During some specific operations where the APU is busy I am missing some data coming from the UART port. I have seen that the internal FIFO can only store 16 characters and that is not enough for my application. Given that the FIFO depth is not configurable, I would like to know if there is a way to solve this issue (e.g. connecting some AXI DMA/FIFO blocks to the UART16550). In other words, I just need a larger FIFO for the incoming data.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor

Re: AXI UART16550: the internal FIFO is too small

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

The FIFO depth isn't configurable because it's intended to match the 16550 UART (which had a 16-character buffer). I don't think you can use an AXI FIFO with it because that's designed for an AXI stream.

I can see two reasonably easy options:

- Create your own UART. A UART is not particularly complex to implement, and then you can have whatever behaviour you want - 2K buffers (each using an 18K block RAM), DMA transfers, etc.

- Create your own UART controller. HLS could do this fairly easily (essentially just a state machine that continually polls both the UART and a FIFO to see if it needs to copy data from one to the other), or a Microblaze could - or you could use one of the RPUs.\

Edit: or can you use one of the PS UARTs via EMIO? I seem to recall that they can do DMA.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks for your prompt reply. Nevertheless my design is pretty much finished and I would like to avoid adding some new controllers or programming a UART from a scratch. Is there any way to edit that IP core? I have found the following document from Xilinx:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/57546.html

As my UART is instanciated in a Block Design, I guess the paragaph under "IP instance in an IP Integrator (IPI) Block Design (BD)" might be what I am looking for... Does it make sense or would it not work with the IP core I am talking about?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
0 Kudos