UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor anirban1988
Visitor

BRAM behaving oddly

Jump to solution

I have an inferred single port read-first BRAM (4096word x 1bit). I am seeing an odd behaviour that I can't pin down.

I have ADCs that are sending in clocked data. I then have the data stored in the BRAM and then read out. The first bit coming out is always '1' followed by the correct sequence of data bits which are shifted right by 1-bit.

I can always ignore the first bit and get the data, but I still need to characterize the issue, in case the behaviour changes in the future. Currently I am out of ideas as to why this could be happening.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor anirban1988
Visitor

Re: BRAM behaving oddly

Jump to solution

Looks like it was some error in my control logic for the data reading process. I completely rewrote my logic generation and the problem is solved.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Observer sunemai
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

Two random ideas you might consider, but none of them directly related to the BRAM itself:

1: Some ADCs with serial output support a self-clocked mode where a start bit is clocked out before the actual data. Maybe this is your 1-bit?

2: I know of at least one FPGA+ADC demo-board project from a major ADC company, where the gated clock output for the serial data transfer is implemented incorrectly in the provided example FPGA logic. The flawed clock-forwarding (and lots of other problems) results in the first serial clock-pulse to the ADC being narrower than the rest. Strange data resulted, until I re-wrote the VHDL code.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Visitor anirban1988
Visitor

Jump to solution
The data from the ADC is always correct as I am keeping track of the data on an oscillocope. Its only when I am reading the stored data from memory that I am seeing an extra bit.

Is it a behavior of the BRAM itself? I can't find anything in the user manuals.
0 Kudos
Visitor anirban1988
Visitor

Jump to solution

Looks like it was some error in my control logic for the data reading process. I completely rewrote my logic generation and the problem is solved.

0 Kudos