UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Block Memory: Use BRAM Controller and Standalone mode at the same time?

Jump to solution

Hi,

In my project I have an IP core ('zigbee_fft') that generates some output. I would like that the Zynq ARM processor is able to read this output. I prefer not to use a FIFO and AXI DMA, as this makes things much more complicated. So I was thinking, that I could use a Block Memory Generator for this. I want my ('zigbee_fft') core to WRITE values into port B of the Block Memory and then connect port A of the Block RAM to the Zynq procesor via an AXI_BRAM_CONTROL and an AXI_Interconnect, so that that the processor can easily READ these values using simple addressing. To do this, I set the 'Operating Mode' of the Block Memory Generator to 'BRAM Controller' in IPI, hoping that I can still interface with port B manually. Please see figure 1 below.

BMG_two_modes.png

I have spent a lot of time designing this. Synthesis completes successfully and I have also completed my C code design in SDK. However, when testing the design, I meet the following problem: I am able to read and write values from and to the Block RAM from the processor, however no values seem to be written by my own core. All values simply remain zero, if I do not write anything from the processor side.

In figure 2, you can see what the output signals of my core look like, these should be allowing to write to the Block Memory, I think.

port_B_write_signals.png

-Do you think there is a problem with my output signals to write data to the core?

-Is it possible to connect to a Block Memory using a BRAM controller on one port and manual signals, using the other port?

-Do you have any other suggestions on how I could achieve what I want to do here?

Thank you very much!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Block Memory: Use BRAM Controller and Standalone mode at the same time?

Jump to solution

Hi!

I have been able solve this issue. It turns this is most certainly possible. All I forgot, was to connect a clock to port B. I thought I had connected all pins of port B, but there was still a '+' sign, as you can see in the figure, and when clicked upon this made a clock available for port B. For me, this actually should be considered a bug!

Everyting works corectly. I am using version 2014.2.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Anyone? I really need help! I have tried everything I know...

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @pieterwillemen

I dont think this is allowed (have AXI BRAM controller on one side and custom IP on other side)

Which version of Vivado are you using? Is the block design validation succesful?

Can you write the BD TCL using write_bd_tcl command and upload the same here?

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi!

I have been able solve this issue. It turns this is most certainly possible. All I forgot, was to connect a clock to port B. I thought I had connected all pins of port B, but there was still a '+' sign, as you can see in the figure, and when clicked upon this made a clock available for port B. For me, this actually should be considered a bug!

Everyting works corectly. I am using version 2014.2.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos