Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer
Observer

Bug in FIFO generator v10.0?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

In my design I am using the FIFO generator v10.0, but I have an issue simulating this. When something is written into the FIFO, the data that is present before the wr_en-cycle is written into the FIFO. So if the data changes simultaneously with the wr_en on the wr_clk then the data before the wr_en-cycle is written. This only appears when I am using the vhdl-model and if I use the verilog-model everything goes fine.

Does anybody have an idea of what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Danny

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer
Observer

Hi,

I've upgraded tot fifo generator V11.0 and now the problem suddenly disapeared so now I can move on again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,

Danny

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Looks like an issue with core, can you share the simulation waveforms and .xco please?

Regards,

Vanitha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Observer
Observer

Hi,

Here you go! I've added two waveforms:

1. VHDL model

2. Verilog model

Same testbench, same simulator, only difference is the modeltype (VHDL vs. Verilog)

Regards,

Danny

fifo vhdl.png
fifo verilog.png
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

If you could crop the image and zoom the signals of interest at the wrong data portion the image would be seen clearly.

Is it post synthesis/post implementation simulation?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Observer
Observer

Hi,

This is behavioral simulation.

As you can see, the first data package that is written into the FIFO, doesn't come out when the data in the FIFO is read.

Regards,

Dannyfifo write.pngfifo read.png

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
I would like if you can reproduce this issue with provided test bench Test bench generated with core generation. Issue can be with how the stimulus drive by your test bench. You may introduce transport delay in data path.
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Observer
Observer

The thing is that it works just fine if a test it stand alone.... But in my testbench it seems that it doesn't process the first write for some reason.

You mentioned something about introduction of transport delay in data path... How can I check if I did?

Regards,

Danny

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
you need to make sure data, address and control signal should not assert at same time
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
0 Kudos
Observer
Observer

Hi,

I've upgraded tot fifo generator V11.0 and now the problem suddenly disapeared so now I can move on again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,

Danny

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
yes this issue got fixed in V11.0 version
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
0 Kudos