UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer azad.jalali
Observer

Can't Find IOBUF Option for Utility Buffer IP

In forum posts such as this one, it is reported that the Utility Buffer should support IOBUF as of v2.1. I can even see it in the change log. But when I place a Utility Buffer in my block diagram, the name has a "ds" in it and all of the options are for differential IO buffers. What am I doing wrong? I need a normal IOBUF, not IOBUFDS.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Re: Can't Find IOBUF Option for Utility Buffer IP

step back, why do you need a utility buffer ?

Can you tell us what you tool is, what version, and what design method your using,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Observer azad.jalali
Observer

I'm using Vivado 2019.1 with a block diagram flow. In IP Catalog, the IP says it's v2.1, Rev. 19.

I want to use the utility buffer to handle a top-level port that tristates. As far as I know my only other option is to wrap an IOBUF in an RTL block and put that in. Is there a better way?

0 Kudos
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

I dont know block diagram flow that well, 

I just dont use it, and dont have it here on the tablet,

As I rember you only need the  util buffer if your using differential outputs

single ended outputs are "just connected" tot he top level, and IO buffers are instantiated,

That does imply that there is a tri state bufer some where in the IP package, 

Sorry, hope some oen else can be of more help

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Observer azad.jalali
Observer

What we found is that when we try to infer a tristate buffer in the IP (e.g. with an assign of 1'bz), it doesn't work. Perhaps we have to explicitly instantiate an OBUF in the IP?

0 Kudos