cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtgavin
Contributor
Contributor

DocNav 2020.1 will not display text on Windows 10

Using Windows 10 Enterprise.  Today I attempted to update to the 2020.1 Windows standalone Documentation Navigator (DocNav)

After I first installed this, it would not come up at all. I did some google searches for the error and it turned out that issue was related to stale graphics card drivers. So I updated my graphics card drivers.

After updating my graphics drivers, I can now bring up DocNav, but when I select a PDF to inspect, it fails to bring up the PDF properly - specifically the text is missing.

Is DocNav flaky and is there anything I should do to my graphics settings in order for it to work? 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
tiantian
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi, @mtgavin , is it possible that you could copy pdfjs folder from DocNav2019.2 package to DocNav2020.1? It's normally located at C:\Xilinx.

0 Kudos
mtgavin
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to download DocNav(standalone) 2019.2 but the Xilinx download server is going *incredibly* slowly recently.  Basically getting 1MB/sec trying to download 26GB.  I'll let you know if I can manage to get it downloaded but it doesn't look good.  Frustrating to get this performance from your download server.

0 Kudos
mtgavin
Contributor
Contributor

I am making some progress but not done yet. I found the DocNav issue (graphics work, but missing text in the PDF viewer window) pops up when I move from 2018.3 (works) to 2019.1 (fails).   2019.1 DocNav adds a number of folders to its install tree, including the "pdfjs" you refer to.  I believe the 2019.1 changes are likely driven to address the issue detailed in

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Xilinx-Documentation-Navigator-Catalog-update-is-no-longer/td-p/1005644    ("Due to a change on Xilinx.com, 2018.3 and earlier versions of Documentation Navigator will no longer allow the user to update the documentation catalog starting in late August 2019.")

I'll have to figure out if my PC is missing some upgraded libraries required by 2019.1. If there is a FAQ about this DocNav change I'd appreciate seeing it, since I suspect this has hit a number of people, not just me.

0 Kudos
tiantian
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi, @mtgavin , I feel that the issue you have is the PDFJS viewer issue, so could you either download and reinstall the docNav or copy the pdfjs folder from other version to 2020.2 docNav to test it out?

0 Kudos
mtgavin
Contributor
Contributor

I am still stuck with Windows DocNav 2019.1 (and I assume 2020.1 which I started with) operating badly as described earlier. I do have a couple more observations:

1) It does not allow you to see **any** part of the file unless you click the download button to download the PDF locally.  I did not describe this earlier because I had forgotten. Without downloading the file, simply clicking on the link in the catalog, will result in a GUI that (eventually) shows only a header with "page 0 of 0" and not much else (no Table of Contents or anything).  Only once the file is downloaded does it recognize the file actually has pages, and can finally see a Table of Contents, but I get the the bad behavior described earlier (can see graphics but no text). 

2) I have found that one the file is downloaded, if I zoom out within DocNav so I can see at least four pages at once, I can finally see that (tiny) text exists within those pages. (It's unreadable at this zoom level, of course.)

3) If I download the file it appears fine if I view it through my locally installed PDF Reader (Adobe).

I updated my local Adobe Reader install (in case DocNav used something from that application, which would be odd) but that did not help. If this is dependent on some other library or application on my PC I have no idea what it would be.

Please help, I really liked this PDF browser for your docs.  It is unlikely to be my graphics drivers since I updated those, and point 1) above would seem independent of graphics (need to hit the download button in order to see anything).

Using Windows 10 Enterprise build 1809 (as managed by my work corporation)

0 Kudos
mtgavin
Contributor
Contributor

I received your EZMove package with a "new" pdfjs directory to install in the DocNav tree.  (Actually, the contents are older, with a Nov. 2018 timestamp, and I had been using 2019.1 pdfjs timestamped from May 2019).

Unfortunately this change in pdfjs package did not change DocNav behavior.  I still need to download the pdf files to see anything at all, and still can't see that text exists unless I apply a very high zoom-out that renders the text unreadable.

I updated to the newest Java install (v8, update 261) and that had no effect.

Can you think of anything else to try?  What does the fact that I need to hit the *download* button (icon with blue downward arrow, just to the right of the document name in the upper bar that appears in DocNav after you click a document link), in order to see *anything*, tell you?  That seems like it is independent of java / pdfjs since it cant even bring the file into the DocNav browser without download.

0 Kudos
tiantian
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi, @mtgavin , is it possible that you could follow the steps below to help troubleshooting:

1: Enable the localhost in Windows (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/localhost/c09d6ee6-b9eb-40bf-93d7-8391ad6eeaa1);

2: copy the pdfjs folder to C:\inetpub\wwwroot;

3: In browser, open url: http://localhost/pdfjs/web/viewer.html;

I just want to see if this problem comes from the pdf viewer plugin.

0 Kudos
mtgavin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. I did as you asked to enable IIS in Windows.  I also put the pdfjs folder inside C:\inetpub\wwwroot  (so at C:\inetpub\wwwroot\pdfjs).  Windows required a reboot after I enabled IIS so I also rebooted.

After the reboot, I brought up http://localhost/pdfjs/web/viewer.html in Chrome.  Chrome immediately opened a tab with a 14-page PDF embedded called "Trace-based Just-in-Time Type Specialization for Dynamic Languages".  It started "AbstractDynamic languages such as JavaScript are more difficult to compile than statically typed ones...."   All text is clean. Looks like Xilinx embeds this PDF in the pdfjs folder as a test PDF named compressed.tracemonkey-pldi-09.pdf.  I did not see the issues with lack of text like I've been seeing in DocNav.  So I am guessing this means the problem is not with the pdf viewer plugin.

0 Kudos
tiantian
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Thanks for your help to test it out. I think you are right, this is not the pdfjs plugin issue. Is it possible that you could send a screenshot to my email: tiantian@xilinx.com? Cause I can not reproduce the issue in my side.
0 Kudos