UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP for UltraRAM

Jump to solution

The image below is from Xilinx document, pg058 (page 95), showing that the Block Memory Generator v8.4 (BMG84) can be used to configure UltraRAM (URAM) for UltraScale+ FPGAs.

BMG84_pg058.jpg

However, BMG84 in WebPack Vivado v2017.4 (for Kintex UltraScale+ project) is shown by the following image.

BMG84_2017p4.jpg

Should I be able to configure URAM using BMG84 in WebPack Vivado v2017.4?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer clarkchris
Observer

Re: IP for UltraRAM

Jump to solution

In 2018.2, when running Block Memory Generator 8.4 from IP Catalog, there is no option to select URAM.

However, when running Block Memory Generator 8.4 from an IP Integrator Block Design, it is possible to choose primitive type of BRAM or URAM.

Outside of a block design, URAM memories and FIFOs can be instantiated using XPM libraries.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
yes you can configure block Memory Generator for URAM IP . you may also use XPM_Memory from language template
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Balkrishan,

Thanks for your reply!

The problem is that the image of Block Memory Generator from Xilinx document, pg058, shows three checkboxes called "BRAM", "URAM", and "AUTO".  So, you can use these checkboxes to indicate that you want URAM.  Howevever, in Vivado Webpack v2017.4, the Block Memory Generator does not have these checkboxes. 

Do I need to wait for the next release of Vivado to see the "BRAM", "URAM", and "AUTO" checkboxes in Block Memory Generator?

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

please make sure you are using supported device . In case still seeing issue please share XCI file

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Balkrishan,

Again, thank you for answering my post.

I am using device XCKU5P (specifically xcku5p-ffva676-3-e), which I see from the Xilinx website is supported by Webpack Vivado v2017.4.

Attached is XCI file created by Block Memory Generator v8.4.  I was trying to create URAM of size 4096x72 but ended up creating Block-RAM (BRAM) because the Block Memory Generator v8.4 gave me no options for selecting URAM.

Mark

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Balkrishan,

I fear that my question is not clear.

The problem is that the following three checkboxes do not appear in Block Memory Generator v8.4 (BMG84)  of Vivado v2017.4. 

Primitive_Type.jpg

Maybe I need to wait for next version of Vivado to see these checkboxes?

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Observer dasidler
Observer

Jump to solution

markg@prosensing.com I just run into the same issue. Did you in the meantime find a way how to use URAM in the Block Memory Generator?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have not yet been able to instantiate (ie. use IP) for URAM.  -although, I've not yet tried the latest version of Vivado.

I am able to infer URAM using HDL code that comes with ug901.  In the post <here> you will find more description of inferring URAM and some problems I encountered.

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer dasidler
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback.
I tried it in version 2018.1, the Block Memory Generator is still at version 8.4 and there is no option to choose URAM.

0 Kudos
Observer clarkchris
Observer

Jump to solution

In 2018.2, when running Block Memory Generator 8.4 from IP Catalog, there is no option to select URAM.

However, when running Block Memory Generator 8.4 from an IP Integrator Block Design, it is possible to choose primitive type of BRAM or URAM.

Outside of a block design, URAM memories and FIFOs can be instantiated using XPM libraries.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

markg@prosensing.com

Yes, As mentioned by @clarkchris URAM selection is only supported through IPI flow.

We are encouraging customer to use the XPM base implementation and URAM can be infer through XMP by setting Memory_Primitive = "Ultra"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply if you have any queries, Give Kudos and accepted as solution

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jump to solution

@clarkchris and @pthakare

Thank you for answering my very old question!

@pthakare

We are encouraging customer to use the XPM base implementation...

This sounds like a big change to things!   Are you saying that for all IP we will be seeing less of the friendly setup wizards  - and more of the manual setup procedure used by XPM?

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Visitor timosau
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I have to comment this thread as I run in same issue with my design. But little bit different angle.

I try to make everything in IPI if possible.

I have used to use AXI bram controller and BMG as pair and was glad to find out that BMG has URAM option.

That actually worked ok, exept that clock rate of memory was poor. Reason is that no register are used.

I found out that there is parameter "Register_PortA_Output_of_Memory_core" and "Register_PortA_Output_of_Memory_Primitive" and if I set them to "true" performance if naturally better.

But AXI BRAM controller can't handle added read latency!

And as mentioned by Mark, I can't generate IP with AXI interface and URAM primitive.

So now I wonder, should I hack AXI BRAM controller or hack generated BMG IP or wait Xilinx support for registered URAM in IPI. 

I'm confused why there is so big difference in IPI IP and standalone IP. I quest that something to do with IPI automation but why standalone version lacks URAM is strange.

Timo

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @timosau

We consider this requirement and added the read latency support for URAM when selected through IP integrator in VIVADO 2018.3 (tentative release schedule is 

mid of this month)

This is the note from BMG  change log.

uram.png

Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
Visitor timosau
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for quick and incisive answer.

Lets hope that BRAM controller also get required update and update is in schedule:)

T:Timo

0 Kudos