UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant crochetx
Participant

JESD204 - QPLL sporadic unlocks

Hi,

I'm working with the ZC706 and the JESD Tx, with the core separated from the phy, so I need two clocks: refclk and core_clk.

- Core_clk is serial lane rate / 40 = 250MHz.

- Refclk is 125MHz or 250MHz (I tried with both of them).

Both come from the same source. Refclk goes to IBUFDS_GTE2, the output of the buffer is routed to the QPLL and also to the PL via a BUFG (I tried it and it works). The output of the BUFG goes to a PLL/MMCM and then to the core_clk.

My receiver is able to sync and I even see data, but there are a lot of interruptions. After probing a lot of signals, I can tell you that my clocks are all ok (right frequency and right waveform), the input reset of JESD core is always 0 (no reset), tx_reset_gt is always low (no reset), output reset of JESD PHY toggles, sync toggles and qpll_lock_out toggles.

I realized QPLL lost of lock makes the lost of sync and then the output reset of JESD PHY toggles.

It is the same behaviour in subclass 0 and subclass 1.

How could the QPLL unlock so often?

Am I doing something wrong?

Please help me find out a solution.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: JESD204 - QPLL sporadic unlocks

whats your eye look like ?

https://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/using-vivado-serial-io-analyzer.html

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Participant crochetx
Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry, I have no idea how to do so. The IBERT is not integrated in the JESD IP and the one I found in the IP catalog is bound to the GTX transceiver. If I use that IP, I must delete the JESD IP so the design will be different and that won't help me.

I tried to follow AR 60024 but I don't find drp ports on the JESD IP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

The eye is to do with the mechanics of the baord, not the actual IP,

so you could swap in an eye monitor,

If you don't have a good eye, then all bets are off.

I recently bumped into this,

https://www.xilinx.com/Attachment/Hardware_Debug_Best_Practices.pdf

chapter 6 is interesting,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Participant crochetx
Participant

I don't understand. How could I see the eye diagram with IBERT since it is in the FPGA?

The IBERT will just 'probe' signals inside the FPGA, which should have no problem, while I would like to see the signal near the receiver.

I still have no idea of why the link is lost and/or the QPLL unlocks..

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

The IBERT sees the signal inside the fpga , yes,
but thats still analog, not digital, its after the front buffer.

and thats what the rest of the fpga runs on, so if that eye looks bad, then you have a broken link.

0 Kudos