cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wendylin
Observer
Observer

JESD204 RX Core, Occasional Wrong Data Received Without Error Indication

I am using JESD204B RX core to read a 4-channel ADC, AD9694. While I was testing the inter-channel synchronization of AD9694, I found that sometimes some noise spikes happen to one of the channels without any disparity error, not-in-table error or frame error detected in the communication. The noise spikes are not from the real signal source either. After the noise spikes, the phase of the waveform in that channel is shifted a little bit. 

See the screenshot below for the waveform captured in chA and chD, to which I input the same sinusoidal source. In the screen shot, the noise spikes happened to chD, and no communication errors were detected. After the noise spikes, the two channel become misaligned. The misalignment can last long until a re-sync event happens.

I don't know where the noise spikes could come from, and how can the noses change the alignment of channels. How can I get rid of those noise spikes or at least detect them? The misalignment is not acceptable in my data processing. Any advices would be appreciated. Thank you. 

misalign-error.PNG

WLin

misalignment.bmp
0 Kudos
3 Replies
trevorr
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @wendylin ,

I have a few questions about your issue:

1. Is the noise issue specific to channel D?
  2. Is the issue specific to certain combinations on channels?
    • I.E. if you run just channel D alone is the issue still present? Or is it only when also reading channel (A,B,C, or any other combination)?
  3. Are you able to check the Fast Detect Pins on the AD9694 for the channel(s) experiencing issues?
    • If so are you detecting a ADC Overage (or Threshold Crossing) from the respective FD_D when experiencing the noise issue on channel D?
    • Also please verify the fast detect upper threshold registers are programmed appropriately for all channels.
  4.   Can you describe how your timing is configured for the AD9694, and JESD Core?

I hope all of this helps. 

Regards, 

Trevor Rishavy

Xilinx Product Application Engineer

0 Kudos
wendylin
Observer
Observer

Hi @trevorr ,

Thanks for your reply. 

1. Is the noise issue specific to channel D?

The issue is not specific to channel D, but happens randomly to any channels.

1. Is the issue specific to certain combinations on channels?
    • I.E. if you run just channel D alone is the issue still present? Or is it only when also reading channel (A,B,C, or any other combination)?

Even if I enable only one channel the issue still presents. Please see the screenshot below, where I enabled only channel B in the ADC, and powered down channel A, C and D. I even set the ADC to output a test pattern, a constant number 8191, but the issue is still there.

1. Are you able to check the Fast Detect Pins on the AD9694 for the channel(s) experiencing issues?
    • If so are you detecting a ADC Overage (or Threshold Crossing) from the respective FD_D when experiencing the noise issue on channel D?
    • Also please verify the fast detect upper threshold registers are programmed appropriately for all channels.

I didn't set the fast detect upper threshold, i.e. it is default value 0. I checked the FD pin and it is 0 when the noise issue occurs. I thought it might not be an overage issue, because the noise still presents even if the ADC is set to output a test pattern.

1.   Can you describe how your timing is configured for the AD9694, and JESD Core?

I'm not sure what timing you're asking. I'm using LTC6951 to generate reference clock for the FPGA, ADC and sysref. The sampling rate is 500MHz, the refclk to ADC is 1GHz, and clock to JESD core is 250MHz. The line rate for both ADC and JESD core is 10 GHz. LMFS = 2 2 2 1. Frames per multiframe = 32. SYSREF is sampled on negative edge. LMFC buffer settings is 1024. Let me know if you would like to know other settings.  

Screenshot 2021-04-13 180421.png
0 Kudos
raj
Adventurer
Adventurer

@wendylin Are you ousing evaluation modules for FPGA and ADC or a custom PCB ? 

Noisy components on the PCB may be the culprit.

0 Kudos