Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darin_i
Participant
Participant

Non-integer FIFO aspect ratio

Hi,

I'm working on an application where I have a 96-bit word coming in from a bank of ADC, and I want to stream this through a 128-bit PCIe 2.0/3.0 xdma (integrated IP) interface.

If I just shove the 96-bits into a FIFO buffer and then into the xdma streaming port, I essentially "waste" 32 bits of bandwidth on the PCIe bus and downstream buffer space.

Would a reasonable approach be to use TWO back-to back asymmetric FIFOs, one 96:384 bits, and the other 384:128 (with commensurate clock division between) to pack the data?

Is there a better way?

Thanks,

-darin

0 Kudos
2 Replies
avrumw
Expert
Expert

Why not just pack the data in RTL? To do this you only 96 bits of storage and a simple state machine.

As each 96 bit value comes in you concatenate it with whatever remainder you have from the last clock cycle. If the total number of bits is >= 128 you push it into your FIFO. So, for example

Bits held          +  bits added  - bits sent out = new bits held

0                           96                   0                          96      (no word pushed)

96                          96               128                          64      (word pushed)

64                          96               128                          32      (word pushed)

32                          96               128                            0      (word pushed)

0                            96                  0                         96       (no word pushed)

Avrum

dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

@darin_i,

I support the method described by avrum.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem
Asking for solutions to problems via PM will be ignored.

0 Kudos