cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer
Observer

ROM implementation -> by BRAM or LUTs?

Hi All,

What is a criteria for the ROM implementation? When to choose it should be implemented by BRAM and when by LUTs?

Let's say I need to implement the 4*256 ROM (4bits address, 256bits data). Should it still be implemented by BRAMs?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar
Scholar

@ldm_gk,

It all depends how much die real-estate do you have after design implementation.

16 x 256 bits isn't a huge size. If there are enough resources left after design Impl, go ahead with LUT implementation. BRAMs can always be used but they have their latency.

For 7 series FPGAs there is something called distributed RAM which are useful resources for small memories something like you want to implement. You can refer to this thread:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Welcome-Join/Block-ram-versus-Distributed-ram-on-7-series-FPGA/td-p/517513

If I was using a 7 Series FPGA, for your case, I would have used a distributed RAM.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem

Teacher
Teacher

One other way to look at this
if you code in a HDL such as VHDL or Verilog,
and you infer the ROM,
then the tools will / should select what fits best.

It can be tricky , as is mentioned, the block rams to make a decent speed need to use the registered ram output, were as SRL ram does no

But generally, ensure there is an output register,
and for ram don't use a clear, and the tools will do a good job of selecting .

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Observer
Observer

How could I infer the ROM in RTL code? What attribute should I use?

There is ROM_STYLE attribute, but you need explicitly define the ROM style - either BRAM or Distributed. So, how to make the tool doing this automatically according to the memory size, etc?

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher

You need to look into UG901

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_4/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos